Grapes for white wine in cold climate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1GallonNoob

Reaction score
Hi Homebrewers,

I would like some pointers, if someome in here has experience with this.

Background: I have been playing around with appleciders and berry wine i 1 gallon batches, just for fun, so I have a bit equipment for fermenting test batches. A 3 gallon plastic vessel for primary fermentation and two 1 gallon glass demijohns for secondary. I like to bottle in swingtop bottles.

The case: We have a west wall on our house in Denmark, with almost no windows. It is practically begging for some wine to cover it. So I thought, why not try to plant some grapes that could I could try to ferment?
A little bit of wine is produced in Denmark these days, though it is not famed.

The questions:

- I read that grapes in this climate is usually grown either free land, in growth houses or on south facing walls. How hopeless is it to grow grapes on a west facing wall?
- The plant shops usually inform mostly about the fresh eating qualities of grapes, what should I look for in grapes for white wine?
- How many vines should I plant, if I want a chance to get enough for a 1 gallon batch in a few years?

I hope some people here have tried this :)

I can't help you with varieties for your region, but I can tell you that you need a surprising amount of grapes for a 1 gallon batch.... About 15-20 lbs or so per gallon.

I just started trying to make merlot with merlot grapes in Southern California... Last year, after 6+years of growing, my 1 vine produced about 13-14 lbs and I made a 1 G batch out of it... So far so good. Early tasting (at 6 mos. was quite drinkable).... rest are still aging,

This year's crop was only about 9-10 lbs... but tried a new batch anyway. We'll see if it's too thin...

So plant a couple vines if you have the room...

Good luck! It's fun going from vine, to grape, to wine...

Keep the skins and seeds to make grappa if you're allowed to distill where you are ;)

Back