Grains of Paradise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerisyummy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently obtained some Grains of Paradise, which I am contemplating as part of a Farmhouse Ale recipe. I have no experience with this ingredient. I'd be interested if anyone has used it, and how (boil, whirlpool, fermenter?), and how much (teaspoons, ounces, hella?). Tell me your recommendations, your war stories, and so on.

Prosit!

A little of it goes a long way. I do a summer wheat ale using it in combination with orange zest and hibiscus. I get a citrus and zesty kind of fresh cracked pepper profile from it.

I add about 3 grams at 5 minutes and give it a quick coarse grind right before I add it too the boil

That is really funny, I was just thinking the other day that I haven’t had a Sam Adams Summer ale in a very long time. I love that beer, and the grains of paradise make it great. I guess that is one small downside to homebrewing.

Back