Grain storage - Life Latch Ultimate Pail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCrafter2011

Reaction score
I was about to buy 7 gallon buckets with gamma lids from USplastics for around $34 (w/o shipping) and then I saw these 5 gallon buckets with a screw top already. The "5 Gallon Life Latch® with White Non-Spout Lid " are only $10.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=24495&catid=626

Are two 5 gallon buckets enough for a full sack of grain?

Has anyone used these for grain?

a five gallon bucket will hold 25 pounds of grain, so for a 55 pound sack of grain you need two pails and a 1 gallon ziplock baggie for the remaining 5 pounds of grain.

Ahh, those are nice. About the same in cost, but will take up less space because I don't think the ultimate pails are stack-able.

Homer buckets from The Depot work just fine if you ask me... $6 with a lid and your set.

I also have one of those Vittles Vault's. Works great, but I have not noticed any difference in the grain quality using the homer buckets. If it's going to sit around for a while then something better is a good idea, but for a sack of two row? I go through it too quickly for any harm to be done to the grain.

I went to my local grocers bakery and picked up a bunch of food grade, air tight, 3 gallon pails for free that were previously used for pie filing. 3 hold a 50 lb sack. They stack and are the perfect size for my grain crusher to set on.

Can't ask for much more for free!

And just under $4 at my HD

Homer buckets from The Depot work just fine if you ask me... $6 with a lid and your set.

I also have one of those Vittles Vault's. Works great, but I have not noticed any difference in the grain quality using the homer buckets. If it's going to sit around for a while then something better is a good idea, but for a sack of two row? I go through it too quickly for any harm to be done to the grain.

I go through it too quickly for any harm to be done to the grain.

How does one determine such a thing?

Not saying anything wrong with HD buckets, have a few myself. . . but what is the half life of plastic leaching if that exists?

I like the homer buckets, but one of my lids cracked soon after I got it. Cracked practically all the way around the edge... :/
Not sure what you use, but I went for the cheaper snap on lids from HD. Much easier to get on and off. When I first got one I put water in the bucket and turned it over with the lid on and it didn't leak. Been using them for many years now and have not had any problem with staling grains. Grains that I get by the sack I dump right in. Anything in smaller quantities that will fit stay in the bag they come in but get stored in a bucket. Hope you can make out the lids I'm talking about from this picture.

Swamp_Cooler.JPG

Not sure what you use, but I went for the cheaper snap on lids from HD. Much easier to get on and off. When I first got one I put water in the bucket and turned it over with the lid on and it didn't leak.

Might have to try these. My homer bucket lids are cracking all over the place.

And just under $4 at my HD

Haha, I think that's what they are at mine too...I didn't want to undershoot the price so I gave the $6 estimate.

And Samc, I have no clue on the half life. I know that people ferment in the Homer Buckets. And I really don't believe anything will leach into my grain. I have no proof, it's just my opinion.

I have a question on the storing grains topic - what about bugs that come with the grain? Have you ever had an infestation in stored grains. Not from bugs getting in a container, but that came in on a free ride with the grain?

Thinking about buying some sacks of grain, and deciding if I need to even worry about bugs after sealing up some grain in a bucket.

I have a question on the storing grains topic - what about bugs that come with the grain? Have you ever had an infestation in stored grains. Not from bugs getting in a container, but that came in on a free ride with the grain?

Thinking about buying some sacks of grain, and deciding if I need to even worry about bugs after sealing up some grain in a bucket.

There's a risk of weevils in the grain, depending on how they were stored before. We just think of it as extra protein. ;)

(They say the freezing the grain will kill them-so if you live in a cooler clime leaving your homer bucket out in the garage or porch for a couple days would kill it off.)

Here's a couple threads on the subject Grain Weevils Freezing Experiment

Stupid Weevils Grain is for Beer...

Could I have a poll about weevils please?

Personally I've never come upon any in my grain...cross my fingers.

+1 to Revvy. I was scared when I bought my first sack of grain for bugs...There was no issue. I've now let a bag of grain or two sit in my dining room all by itself without problems.

I diffidently recommend you put ALL your grain in a sealed container!

I had a second bag of 2-row lying down on my bottom ventilated shelf in my kitchen pantry.

I was having issues with bugs in my boxes of mac and cheese when I saw bugs floating in the boiling water, another time I decided to shift the noodles and discovered over a dozen fell through onto a white plate.

2 days ago I discovered I had bugs in my grain, like several thousand. I ended up sifting them out, 1 pound at a time, over a laundry tub with a drain stopper. These 2 buckets are now in a deep freezer for several days.

I'm glad to see that I'm not alone.

Vittles Vaults for me! Stackable and airtight. Good piece of mind. Luckily no bugs so far. One for 2-row/Marris, one for wheat, and one for pilsner. ( Luckily I get my sacks at a local brewery who always have a fresh rotation of grain )All the specialty grains go in Foodsaver jars or bags. Have not had any grains go bad (rancid) or off flavors.

Back