Grain mill motor HP, Recommendations,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoazLanner

Reaction score
Hi, I have the MM-2Pro SL mill. MM recommends a 1HP motor, (Make sure you have at least a 1 hp electric motor at 1725 rpm or slower).
Do you find MM recommendation as an “overkill”? What do you think as enough HP?
Thanks,

1725 RPM is extremely fast to grind grains and my mill's motor is built with an internal gear reducer bringing the rpm's to 180. By reducing the speed down to 180, there is a huge amount of torque created. Speed goes down....torque goes up.

My motor came from All American Ale Works and Steve can help you with questions. I coupled my motor from him (I think it is 1/2hp) with an MM3. If I am not mistaken, I think the rollers on your mill may be larger than mine but I don't feel that is an issue. With the torque my motor offers, I honestly think it can darn near grind rocks. It grinds a hopper of malted grains like nothing is in the hopper.

mill 1.JPG

Thank you Morrey, I know about the ideal rpm, MM recommends 150-200 rpm for my mill, so your 180 is perfect.
I just wanne be sure about the mill HP b4 i buy one.

Mm recommends 150-250 rpms for their mills. Not sure where your seeing such a high speed but you should recheck your data.

It is all in the gearing, because of that you do not need a huge motor just a good gear reduction . as noted torque is increased.

Dcpcooks, Quote "Make sure you have at least a 1 hp electric motor at 1725 rpm or slower, and the required 10:1 speed reduction pulley set to drive this mill" End Quote, This quote is from MM site.
You are right about the recommended 150-250 rpm.
So I still wonder if 1 HP is an "overkill" and a lower HP motor can do just fine.

You lose a good amount of force/power/torque when you transfer shaft to pulley to belt etc. im thinking thats why they say 1 hp.

I used a low speed drill from harbor freight with lots of torque.

1725 RPM is extremely fast to grind grains and my mill's motor is built with an internal gear reducer bringing the rpm's to 180. By reducing the speed down to 180, there is a huge amount of torque created. Speed goes down....torque goes up.

My motor came from All American Ale Works and Steve can help you with questions. I coupled my motor from him (I think it is 1/2hp) with an MM3. If I am not mistaken, I think the rollers on your mill may be larger than mine but I don't feel that is an issue. With the torque my motor offers, I honestly think it can darn near grind rocks. It grinds a hopper of malted grains like nothing is in the hopper.

^^^^^This motor and gear reduction! It is what I use on my 3 roller MM.

Dcpcooks, Quote "Make sure you have at least a 1 hp electric motor at 1725 rpm or slower, and the required 10:1 speed reduction pulley set to drive this mill" End Quote, This quote is from MM site.
You are right about the recommended 150-250 rpm.
So I still wonder if 1 HP is an "overkill" and a lower HP motor can do just fine.

I have the ale woks 1/2 hp motor on a crankandstein 320. I can load it with 18 lbs of grain and flip the switch. If I'm using white wheat or red wheat I leave the motor running as I add the wheat.

So if you want to crush 18 lbs of wheat from a dead stop at the finest setting then you may actually want 1 hp.

I think All American Ale Works have the best solution for the monster mills, and possibly other models of grain mill.

I bought a MM 3Pro PD over a year ago, and have been looking since then for a suitable method of driving it, other than from a hand drill.

I have the most difficult to drive monster mill, and am confident that the motors and couplings from All American Ale Works will do the job in the safest and most efficient way.

I'm still waiting for the European version of the motor to arrive in stock, and will report back when I am able to use it.

Back