Grain Bill needed for a 5 gallon grain based (Barley and Wheat Pale Ale)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StandTallGuy

Reaction score
Good evening,

I am new to home brewing myself and would welcome the insights and comments of the other home brewers on this website in order to home brew a new 5 gallon batch of an all grain based (Wheat and Barley based Pale Ale).

That said, what, in your opinion would be the typical grain bill be (for a 5 gallon brew) as well as the water ratios (mash in vs mash out) at perhaps a 5-7% abv.

Much thanks and appreciation for everyone's help and support in advance.

Jay

I strongly suggest you read some beginner brewing books, like John Palmers 'How to Brew' (first edition is free on the internet, Welcome to How to Brew - How to Brew ; there are many updates in the newest edition).

Pale ale grists (the grains that make it up) vary considerably. I'm going to assume you're talking about American Pale Ale (which is different to English or Belgian Pale Ale). A good starting point for an APA is 95% pale malt with 5% medium (60L) crystal. You could replace some of the pale malt with wheat if you want to (but it's not all that common in pale ales). Consider starting with a 5%ABV beer (about 1.050 OG) as higher gravity beers are more difficult to brew (due to lower efficiency). Also, consider NOT using wheat - it's sticky and difficult to work with (unless you plan to BIAB, in which case it doesn't matter). You're looking at about 10lbs of grain (at 70% efficiency) in 5 gallons to get 1.050 (which will give roughly a 5%ABV beer, depending on mash temperature, grist and yeast). For water, you'd normally mash with about 1.25 quarts per pound of grain (but can use more), so about 3 gallons for the 10lbs. The grain will absorb a bit over a gallon (unless you BIAB and squeeze it out), so you'll need a bit more than 4 gallons for your sparge to get 6 gallons pre-boil (assuming a gallon in total for boil off and trub losses giving a 5 gallon batch).

1 gallon all grain kits are a inexpensive start to brewing too. Less frustration for the sheer volume of stuff you have to try and mash, boil, move to fermenter, move to bottles or keg and other things that might have you fussing with logistic problems due to size instead of dealing with problems of beer making.

Brooklyn Brewshop has a lot of starter kits that include most everything you need except bottles, caps and capper. They also have very simplistic instructions which might leave you at loss if you are the inquisitive mind. But they work when followed without question. The only thing they might have changed is to say that you will get a clearer beer if you wait four to five weeks before bottling.

If you are dead set on starting with five gallon batches, there are many other online vendors that have recipe kits with and without all the basic equipment you might need. Recipes include the grains or extracts, hops, sugars and most everything else uncommon to your home pantry and kitchen that you'll need.

There is a whole “recipe” section here on HBT...there are a few examples of grain bills there. Just sayin...

I have this on tap currently-
B91C7301-AB1E-432D-8DD1-878501200827.png

I mash at 1.5 quarts/lb @150° and batch sparge, in two infusions, for my desired preboil volume (YMMV based on your system). I ferment this yeast at the low end of its range (60-62°) to enhance the spicy, phenolic flavors. I really like this recipe.
EDIT-The image of the recipe disappears after a few hours. Maybe Brad has some sort of time-delayed copy protection. :cool:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back