Gorgonzola coming along fine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's been in the cheese fridge a few weeks and is just now turning nicely blue. When it's totally covered, I'll pierce it and hopefully the internal interstitial spaces will fill in with the characteristic veins. I've smoothed the outside of this cheese, but the inside (I think) wasn't compressed much and should be full of air pockets to help spread the blue.

Back into the cheese cave.

_MG_2468-X3.jpg

Isn't she pretty! And, she's old enough for piercings :)

Actually, I forgot - probably should have pierced a week or two ago, but not a problem. Piercing once the cheese has gotten a little more solid allows keeps the holes open and allows O2 in there so that the pennicilium roqueforti will vein.

full

Nice! been a while since I made cheese, want to make some blue for Christmas.

Derp. It's not a gorgonzola.

I have no idea why I put that as the title of this thread, but I was just looking over my records for this make and it's a Shropshire Blue. I'm no cheese expert, so I don't really know the diff, but that's what I made. It's super tasty, regardless the name. What's in a name? That which we call a cheese by any other word would smell as bleu.

Derp. It's not a gorgonzola.

I have no idea why I put that as the title of this thread, but I was just looking over my records for this make and it's a Shropshire Blue. I'm no cheese expert, so I don't really know the diff, but that's what I made. It's super tasty, regardless the name. What's in a name? That which we call a cheese by any other word would smell as bleu.
Well it could also be a type of gorgonzola: the "gorgonzola forte" cheese which is the most dry aged version. The most popular version in Italy is gorgonzola dolce (sweet gorgonzola) also called bergonzola or gorgo and is this on the photo.
download-1.jpeg

Back