Good recipes for historic before-hops ales?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ty520

Reaction score
Was browsing through some historical books like Digbie's The Closet Opened and became more interested in exploring pre-hop ale recipes - either medieval ales without herbs and spices, or gruits with hop-alternative bittering agents.

Anyone know of other good resources on such recipes?

If you like stouts, I have a good one on tap right now. It does have some hops, and is not based on any historic recipes, but the emphasis is on the herbs. Let me know if you want the recipe.
I also do a sahti with very minimal hops. A friend is vacationing in Scandinavia next week, so I asked him to get me some of the Finnish bakers yeast that's typically used.

Was there ever a pre-hop period in brewing? Before mass communication and introduced standards, including in brewing, everyone was a home brewer and local wild ingredients would have been used to flavour ale. Hops were most likely used when they grew locally in the wild. Brewing was probably much more diverse than today. What was lacking in scientific knowledge was filled by 'alchemists' who were likely very knowledgeable about the local plants. Unfortunately, things generally just weren't documented. It's best to just assume anything goes, if it seems to work. The biggest challenged is to determine which ingredients were available in sufficient supply locally. Ethnobotany, historical pollen profiles, etc., more than anything else, is what you want to research.

Was browsing through some historical books like Digbie's The Closet Opened and became more interested in exploring pre-hop ale recipes - either medieval ales without herbs and spices, or gruits with hop-alternative bittering agents.

Anyone know of other good resources on such recipes?
Here are some resources and recipes. Special interest should be taken on everything that Susann verberg posts, she wrote some very good papers and did the scientific research for that.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/the-gruit-beer-thread.629637/

Was there ever a pre-hop period in brewing?
Yes, hops were pretty foreign to the UK until the 1500s, until introduced by Germans who brought their "Bier." At that time, "ale" was essentially pure fermented cereal grain, or "gruit" if herbs and spices were introduced. I have several historic recipe books from the 1500s onward, but mostly regarding mead and wine; although one mentions several personal beer/gruit recipes from Washington,Franklin etc - a molasses beer, chestnut beer, and a pine beer.

And you are right they most are somewhat vague, and based on crazy personal experimentation with minimal documentation. Some are "out there," but lots of gems that make for good starting inspiration.

Although there's been a growing interest in scientific research to recreate brews, eg Dogfish Head's midas Touch...although slightly modified for modern taste

I forgot to mention -- last time I brewed it without mugwort as I'm not a big fan of that particular herb (many people are). I enjoyed it better without. But it's good both ways.
I experimented with mugwort amounts in my stout. Even in a big imperial, 0.5oz is the most I can use and not have it overpower the beer.

Yes, hops were pretty foreign to the UK until the 1500s, until introduced by Germans who brought their "Bier."
Yeah, according to historical memes. Did you imagine for some reason Humulus lupulus failed to colonise the British Isles after the last ice age? Really? Based on what? The probability of that idea being true is vanishingly small, given its native ecology in Europe and conditions for it to thrive naturally in Britian. Either you want to brew something potentially comparable to what might have been brewed in areas of medieval Europe or you just want to believe you are brewing something comparable. There's a very big difference. Propaganda and other biases are unlikely to lead you anywhere interesting based on reality. It's not like Europeans invented beer. Especially those barbaric trolls in the north. At the time humanity documented developed brewing practices, in the Middle East, Europeans were still colonising Europe and throwing rocks at each other.

This might be of some interest. It considers the history of cultivated hops in Europe. Although we now know hops are better for preserving beer, the main reason for a shift from gathering hops from the wild to growing them was probably linked to local taxation rules. The export of hopped German beers and eventual spread of the use of hops in brewing had much to do with the Hanseatic League and European trade and commerce. Note there was much more resistance against the Hanseatic League - their practices of bribing local officials to prioritise imports over local produce - in Britain than elsewhere in Europe. Although interesting brewing history, the story of the first known cultivated hops in Europe doesn't disprove wild hops being used locally in Britain before cultivated hops were imported. Nor was it necessarily true that hops were always used as a replacement for other brewing additives. They were sometimes used in addition to. Imagine fly agaric additions; a very special brew consumed by shamen and alchemists tripping in the tangled wildwood, searching for wild hops and all other botanical additives for brewing. Their knowledge for such things was most likely considerably better than ours today.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back