Gonna try my first original recipe, how will this be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most looks good, but there are no dry hops in your IPA?

I'd probably would add the 2 hop stand hops when the wort has chilled somewhat, say down to around 170°F. Stop the chiller, add the 2 hops, and let them steep there for 10-15 minutes, with a stir every few minutes. Then continue chilling to ferm temps, leaving the hops in there all the time.

Most looks good, but there are no dry hops in your IPA?

I'd probably would add the 2 hop stand hops when the wort has chilled somewhat, say down to around 170°F. Stop the chiller, add the 2 hops, and let them steep there for 10-15 minutes, with a stir every few minutes. Then continue chilling to ferm temps, leaving the hops in there all the time.
I'm trying to not dry hop unless absolutely needed. Hop Creep, esp. with Mosaic.....

I'm trying to not dry hop unless absolutely needed. Hop Creep, esp. with Mosaic.....
Dry hopping is a large part of brewing hoppy beers to give them that in your face hoppy flavor and aroma. IPAs are a prime example of that.
The possibility of hop creep should not deter you from using dry hops. You'd be missing out on quite an extraordinary experience of tasting and smelling hops in the beer you drink. Just be aware and learn to work with it. Same for using techniques to avoid/limit oxidation, so definitely no secondaries.

Dry hopping is a large part of brewing hoppy beers to give them that in your face hoppy flavor and aroma. IPAs are a prime example of that.
The possibility of hop creep should not deter you from using dry hops. You'd be missing out on quite an extraordinary experience of tasting and smelling hops in the beer you drink. Just be aware and learn to work with it. Same for using techniques to avoid/limit oxidation, so definitely no secondaries.
I have had a couple of surprisingly hoppy recipes that did not use dry hops. Just exploring that avenue.....

Any input, good or bad, appreciated....
A couple of things to consider:
  • People generally avoid "concentrated" boils - all the extract at the start of the boil but only half the water.
  • A 30 minute boil saves time and is a simple adjustment.
  • The "I brewed a favorite recipe today (link)" and "Advanced extract brewing link" topics are also worth a read.

I think it'll end up fine, especially as a first shot. It does seem to land between "pale ale" and IPA but - that's fine.

Give it a whirl and tweak for the next time. This one certianly won't be bad at all aqnd in fact could also be great or exactly what you want.
Yeah, the line between Pale Ale and IPA is pretty blurry......

Latest posts

Back