Glycerin for sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacto

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have a liter of the stuff (food grade) and would like to know if it can be used to feed yeast in a brew?

Thank you miraculux I will not be using it. Especially having just found some information about it ... guess I will be using honey or canne.

Maybe not.
  • Glycerin is a type of carbohydrate called a sugar alcohol, or polyol. 
  • Glycerin contains slightly more calories per gram than sugar and is 60–75% as sweet. 
But I have no idea if glycerin can be broken down by yeast...

Cheers!

Wow ... Thanks for the link ... can anyone translate it into English so that a layman can understand it. :oops:

All I wanted to know was whether I could use glycerin in brewing, miraculix answered it perfectly for a country bumpkin like me. :ghostly:

Last edited:
It isn't necessary to understand all of the science to get the bottom line. This is probably the most important statement for a layman:

"It is clear from the literature that different yeast species, as well as different strains from the same species, show high diversity with regard to growth on glycerol as the sole source of carbon. However, some of the reported differences might be caused by the growth medium used, instead of strain differences."

So whether yeast will use glycerol depends on the strain and the conditions.

It isn't necessary to understand all of the science to get the bottom line. This is probably the most important statement for a layman:

"It is clear from the literature that different yeast species, as well as different strains from the same species, show high diversity with regard to growth on glycerol as the sole source of carbon. However, some of the reported differences might be caused by the growth medium used, instead of strain differences."

So whether yeast will use glycerol depends on the strain and the conditions.
Thank you mac_1103

Back