Glass etching your bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OpenSights

Reaction score
My wife came up with the idea. I also have a customer who owns a printing shop, lettered my work truck, printed my cards and invoices. But I’m not sure which would be best for gift bottles.

Any glass etching experience hear? On fleebay I’ve found a reusable stencil and the chemicals to do it, but will it show on brown bottles or do you have to paint the etching?

Years ago a coworker started calling me “The Red Yeti” so I thought Red Yeti Brewing would be good, but apparently there’s a “Red Yeti brewing Co” in Indiana, so I’m thinking “Red Yeti Brewery”. Same dang thing happened with my business name... apparently there is a Carr Drain Cleaning in California too. They already took the gmail.

Armor etch is a good etching cream that I have used on clear glass. Great for doing beer glasses and mirrors. It does not work well on brown bottles at all. The best etching you can do is with either a dremel tool or sand blasting. Paasche makes the 'air eraser'. It is pretty cool to play with.

Thank you! With all that I’m investing my wife says I need to slow down. Printed labels I might get for trade.

I never thought about that. The stuff that you etch glass with is an acid. Many drain cleaners charge extra when the home owner or a tenant uses a draino type product because it takes quite a bit of life out of your cable. I don’t charge extra unless there was a ridicules amount used.

I guess it could be bad depending on how carbonated the contents are. I’m new to brewing so thank you for catching this idea. I’ve even read a thread here about carboys breaking.

I can verify the "air eraser" does a nice job. You need to build a glove box though, or do it outside with a mask and goggles... Which also prevents you from capturing and reusing the abrasive.

Armor Etch definitely works and has less setup hassles. However, it is harder to get a nice-looking, even etch. I find I need to stir the goop 2-3x while it sits.

For both methods, if you can find a buddy with a vinyl cutter, you can make very sharp looking masks.

Back