German vocabulary question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeirKaiser

Reaction score
Hallo!

I was in brewing class today and my professor mentioned top cropping the yeast. I use to remember a fair bit of German brewing terms but I can’t remember what the word for it was. Of course it was a string of words put together. I remember the direct translation being something like “taking from the king’s crown” and I remember “könig” being in there. Can anyone help me please? If not, I start my internship at Hofbräuhaus soon. Maybe they can ask the Fatherland for me.

Danke

Hallo!

I was in brewing class today and my professor mentioned top cropping the yeast. I use to remember a fair bit of German brewing terms but I can’t remember what the word for it was. Of course it was a string of words put together. I remember the direct translation being something like “taking from the king’s crown” and I remember “könig” being in there. Can anyone help me please? If not, I start my internship at Hofbräuhaus soon. Maybe they can ask the Fatherland for me.

Danke
Hi, Im currently in German with my wife is German and also a home brewer. I asked her your question and she does not know the word that include König“ you are looking for. In German brewing terminology yeast is „ Hefe“ (it’s a noun so it’s always capitalized). Skimming off the top is „abschöpen“ or with an American keyboard „abschoepen“. To skim yeast off the top is „Hefe abschöpfen„. My wife knows a retired Braumeister here and will ask him if perhaps there is an old expression that fits your description. If I get more info I will let you know.

I have also never heard of a term like this. Maybe you're mixing something up? The foam on the beer could be called Schaumkrone meaning foamcrown. Maybe something like that?

1674274237025.png

Lol!

Back