Fuller's London Pride clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm gonna be knocking out an extract clone of Fuller's London Pride soon, which is a bitter. My list looks as such:

-6# Briess Sparkling Amber DME
-8oz Caramel 150°
-0.5oz Target, 60 min
-Half ounce each of: Challenger, Northdown, EKG at 5 minutes
-Using WLP005

Should get me to roughly 36 IBU, 13.4 SRM. Est OG 1.047, FG 1.015. BU/GU OF 0.71

That look okay? I'm sure it will be a fantastic beer, regardless.

If the sparkling amber DME is the same as pale ale malt it should get you close, although the Fuller strain is WLP 002 or Wyeast 1968. The recipe is 95% English pale ale malt and 5% English Crystal 75 (lovi) with a little chocolate for color.

There are a couple of Can-You-Brew-It podcasts on how London Pride is made - well worth listening to. Temperature management plays an important role. Your hop schedule is close. Hops schedule per Can You Brew It...

20g Target 11%AA at 60m
18g Challenger 7.5%AA at 3m
18g Northdown 8.5%AA at 3m
6g Goldings 4.75%AA at 3m

Also, I have tried to clone the beer 3 times and have never been successful. Beers turned out great but were lacking that "marmalade flavor" in London Pride. Recently, I read that 1968 and 002 are from Fuller's but may not be the exact strain they use and that the Imperial A09 yeast, which is the Fuller's stain, does impart the marmalade flavor. If you can get the A09, you may want to try it.

Good luck - it is a great beer.

@Holden Caulfield yes, it has pale malt, along with some Munich and another malt that's in between the two in color. I have read that about those two strains, I've got 005 on hand and want to see what I get with it and then adjust from there with the extract. Just went to both my LHBS and they were out of Northdown... So I guess it will get a bit more of Challenger and EKG to get it there this time. Also forgot to mention that I do full volume boils, so I'll start with 6 gallons, only adding two pounds of extract to the beginning of the boil to keep from darkening the wort.

it has pale malt, along with some Munich and another malt that's in between the two in color. I have read that about those two strains, I've got 005 on hand and want to see what I get with it and then adjust from there with the extract. Just went to both my LHBS and they were out of Northdown... So I guess it will get a bit more of Challenger and EKG to get it there this time
^Well then, based on the malt, hops schedule, and yeast selection you will make a very tasty beer - just not London Pride;)

Whelp. I think it's done. I had my brew day last Sunday on a whim. Ended up using 1968. The color came out pretty good! The OG was spot on, 1.051. That being said, it looks like the yeast is mostly flocc'd out which isn't great as I need to bottle condition. But I'm not getting in a hurry. I will check gravity Sunday and see where I'm at.
IMG_20210307_100006895.jpg

Forgot to take a picture of the test jar before I quickly drank and enjoyed it, but the FG is 1.009. Not bad, went from 1.051 to 1.009 in 12 days. I'm sure it's been that way since I last posted an update. :bigmug:

Hey all,
I'm gonna be knocking out an extract clone of Fuller's London Pride soon, which is a bitter. My list looks as such:

-6# Briess Sparkling Amber DME
-8oz Caramel 150°
-0.5oz Target, 60 min
-Half ounce each of: Challenger, Northdown, EKG at 5 minutes
-Using WLP005

Should get me to roughly 36 IBU, 13.4 SRM. Est OG 1.047, FG 1.015. BU/GU OF 0.71

That look okay? I'm sure it will be a fantastic beer, regardless.
i'm new to brewing and new here also. can you please tell me what BU/GU means? Thanks.

Back