First time using 22 oz bottles, question about sanitization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doliss

Reaction score
So I'm about to bottle and I've run my bottles through with the vinator and getting them on the tree to dry. As I'm stacking them into the pegs I notice that the 22 oz bottles catch a small amount of sanitizer just before the base of the neck. Is this something I should be concerned about? Should I just give them a quick rinse before I put the brew in or is this not really an issue?

If you are using a no rinse sanitizer don't worry. When you pick the bottle off the treefor filling, drips will drop. What doesn't drip will not affect the beer in the bottle.

Nope. Never rinse if you're using star san. Like the guy said above, it'll drop out and what doesn't won't harm your beer or you at all.

I use 22 oz bottles on a Vinator and Star San. If you just shake the bottle a little bit before putting it on the tree you will be fine. Obviously if there is a large puddle on the bottom dump it out, but don't rinse and don't fear the foam!

Just as the others have said, you are fine with a bit of starsan or some suds in the bottles, it won't hurt a thing. I have found that if you carefully drain the bottles and don't let them 'glug glug' then most of the foam will come out anyway. If you let them glug you just end up making more bubbles. Either way it's fine, you don't need to worry about small amounts of starsan. The creating chemist says you don't even have to worry about larger volumes of it, at least not as far as harm to your body goes. He claims to have drank glasses of the stuff just as a demonstration of it's safety. Jamil claimed to see a 5 Star salesman do the same thing.

Back