First step up to partial mash, input wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brujoand

Reaction score
Hi,
I've brewed quite a few batches of extract beer now and I want take it one step further. The problem is that here in Norway it is impossible to get malted gluten free grains with diastatic power. I've tried malting, and I don't have the room for it:/. And I haven't found anyone that's willing to ship malted millet or buckwheat from the US.

So what I have is 350g of rolled oats that's been roasted for 50min at 150 degrees C. 1 kg of roasted buckwheat (no diastatic power because of to hot roasting at the malthouse). And 3kg Durra extract (sorghum).

This is my best IPA so far --> https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/tindheim-ipa-gluten-free and now I want to use the Oats, Buckwheat and Durra in stead of Briess Sorghum. And i'll could probably drop the Candy sugar as well since my new grains would add some color.

I've already made a yeast starter which can handle 1.075 of OG and I've bought a mashbag, and Ritchies Amylase.

So my plan is to mill the buckwheat and oats in my Corona mill, almost into flour. Then mash at 67 C degrees to gelatinize the buck wheat (source) and then add the Amylase, and let it all rest for an hour. And then use this as my base for the brew.

Now I have some questions:

1. The oats are rolled, does that mean they are probably gelatinised as well?
2. Is my kind of amylase going to be able to convert these starches? I couldn't find any info on wether the bottle contained beta, alpha or both.
4. I have no idea how to calculate how much of the Durra to add, should i just do the mash, do a gravity reading and go from there?
4. Also, any input, advice, experiences are very welcome. :)

Cheers!

You are right that the rolled oats are pre gelatinized.

Regardless of the type of amylase you have, you should assume that the contrabution of the buckwheat to fermentable sugars will be relativly low...but it will add flavor, color and improve body and mouthfeel.

I would plan to add enough sorghum extract to get just shy of your target starting gravity...If for some reason your mash is more efficient than expected...you will over shoot your SG (not really a problem) and know how to adjust for next time.

my experience with mashing buckwheat is that it does contribute a bit to my starting gravity, but the sugars are not highly fermentable, so it also raises my final gravity...whitch can be good if trying to add some body to a thin sorghum extract beer.

You could do this mash BIAB style. With the grains in a bag; mashed in your brew pot (in whatever volume you intend to use for the boil).
This is how I have been doing partial mash batches lately.

Thanks Legume.

I'm actually brewing this as we speak. And I did go for the BiAB approach. I had a lot of problems getting the bag drained though. I guess I could have added more rice hulls. Any pointers on that?

I just added the bittering hops and my kitchen smells awesome. Can't wait to taste this :)

I haven't used this much in my brews as I currently spend most of the time Malting and brewing with that malt in experimental batchs to get the taste from the Millet I use. So far the set up I use makes about 4Kg of malted Millet. I then roast it as per my recipe. Two very different IPA's are in bottle conditioning right now one at 6SRM and the other I malted more "Crystal" 500mg of it and so its at 8-10 SRM. Let use know how you make out with yours.

Back