First Recipe: Imperial Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterblum

Reaction score
I just completed my first batch of homebrew; I made an IPA using a Brewer’s Best kit. Now that I have successfully completed it, I would like a bit more of a challenge.
I am a college student, constantly on the move, so I don’t have room for a good setup (for all-grain), but I would like to create my own recipe. So I would like to make an Imperial Red Ale using extract. Here are the grains and hops I would like to try, as well as final goals:

9.2% Alcohol
92 IBU
Medium to Dark Red
Caramel Flavor, Citrus Aroma

1.090 SG
Base Malt (extract)
Weyermann CaraRed (20°L)
Briess Crystal 60°L
Briess Crystal 120°L
Briess Roasted Barley
Cascade - Bittering
Centennial – Bittering
Amarillo - Bittering
Amarillo – Aroma
Amarillo – Dry Hop
1056 American Ale Yeast

I know how to do the math, I just have questions on proportions. How much grain should be used, how much extract should be used, and in what proportions (individual grains as well) for a typical red ale (imperial)? I have no idea what types of flavors these grains produce either. How much LME should be used and how much DME should be used? I would just like a medium red color, with lots of bitterness.
Any recommendations/suggestions for this recipe?

I would ditch the 120. Not more than 4oz or so of the 60. The black you just need a touch for the color.

I would also look into doing partial mash BIAB. Doesn't need more equipment, and instead of steeping spec malt, do a small mash of a couple pounds of 2 row with your spec grain. Then start your boil and use extract to hit gravity.

1090 is a really big beer - for a second batch, I would really recommend dialing it back to more like 1050. High gravity lends some complexities to the process. You really need to make sure you pitch enough yeast, aerate well and can control ferm temp. And that you have the time to let it fully ferment and condition. Otherwise, you are going to have a hot, fuesel tasting beer.

As this is your second batch, find some good reliable extract recipes for the style you want and proceed from there. Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil is a good starting point.

If you don't know what the different grains contribute, you're not ready to start designing recipes - especially 1090 / 95 Ibu recipes. Not trying to be a dick, just being real.

I would ditch the 120. Not more than 4oz or so of the 60. The black you just need a touch for the color.

I would also look into doing partial mash BIAB. Doesn't need more equipment, and instead of steeping spec malt, do a small mash of a couple pounds of 2 row with your spec grain. Then start your boil and use extract to hit gravity.

1090 is a really big beer - for a second batch, I would really recommend dialing it back to more like 1050. High gravity lends some complexities to the process. You really need to make sure you pitch enough yeast, aerate well and can control ferm temp. And that you have the time to let it fully ferment and condition. Otherwise, you are going to have a hot, fuesel tasting beer.

As this is your second batch, find some good reliable extract recipes for the style you want and proceed from there. Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil is a good starting point.

If you don't know what the different grains contribute, you're not ready to start designing recipes - especially 1090 / 95 Ibu recipes. Not trying to be a dick, just being real.

This is a true statement. It's tough to do a huge beer like that without a bit of extra equipment (oxygenation, temp control, yeast starter tools).

My comment to you is actually only about your hops, though, if you do this recipe. For me, if I had those hops sitting on hand, I'd want to use them all as character hops (even though they are all fairly similar). I'd shift them all to late/flameout/hopstand additions and just use a bit of good old Magnum for bittering.

Back