First PM recipe review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarhead2000

Reaction score
Hey guys, came up with a recipe for a wheat beer PM. First time doing one and could use some advice on the recipe.

Batch size (3 gallon)

Equipment
5 gallon SS pot (BIAB mash)
5 gallon bucket (primary)
3 gallon Carboy (secondary)

Grains
2lb 2-row
2lb White Wheat
12oz Cara-Pils

1lb Wheat DME(after boil)

Hops
.25oz Cluster @ 60
.25oz Styrian @ 15

Yeast
Wyeast 1010 American wheat

Misc
2 lbs Frozen blackberries (primary)
------------------------------

Mash
152F for 60 minutes with 1.5 Gallons
Sparge with 170F water to bring to Pre-boil volume of 3.5gallons

Est. OG - 1.057
Est. FG - 1.014
Abv- 5.69%
IBU - 14
SRM - 4.6

I have read about putting kettle in 150* oven during mash to help regulate temp. Eventually looking to convert a cooler for a proper tun.

Do these numbers look good? Any issue I could expect to see using BIAB for my PM?

We will use the 5 gallon bucket for primary as I have read wheat fermentation can get pretty crazy.

I have run this recipe through BeerSmith, Brewers Friend and a few others but hope to get some feedback from experienced brewers before we start.

Thank you.

I've not used blackberries but otherwise looks good for a simple Am wheat, except I don't think you need the carapils with all the wheat. I'd just go 50/50 2 row and wheat. In fact if you're only doing a lb of DME might as well do an all grain batch. That's the size batch I do in my 5 gal pot. If you're sparging anyway you could easily fit the whole grainbill. For 5-7 lb grain and 3 gals post boil I typically do about 2.5 gal mash, 6-7 qt dunk sparge. Do you have a big bag that lines the pot so the grains are loose and you can stir well? Be sure to get a good crush. The oven works well for me, I tried a 3 gal cooler for a bit but prefer BIAB'ing it now. Lastly not sure if you want to get into water yet, if so given the very pale grist you might want to use RO and follow the instructions in the water primer with a little acid or acid malt.

water primer

Thanks, I do have a good BIAB bag. Going to take your advice on grain bill and keep it 50/50. Looking to brew it this Sunday and will let you know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back