First NEIPA on my BIAB System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cryovenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I'm looking to brew my very first NEIPA, a style that I've really grown to love from local craft breweries over the last year.

I gathered together 10 NEIPA recipes I found online, trying to find out what they have in common. After messing around with notepads on my kitchen table I realized that the "average" of all of them was actually one of the recipes I was already looking at - the Averagely Perfect NEIPA I found on Brewer's Friend that was crowdsourced from this thread over on BeerAdvocate.

Anyway, Galaxy hops are damn near impossible for me to get, and I'm brewing on a 10L/2.5gal BIAB setup, so I made a few changes and was hoping to get some feedback from you guys on whether this looks good before I go and brew it. I really want to knock this one out of the park so any feedback would be super helpful.

In particular for my setup, I can't Whirlpool for a very long time unless I want a serious arm workout because I have no pump, so instead I'm going to try a 15min hop-stand - After flame-out I'll let the temp drop from boiling down to somewhere between 75-80C and throw my hops in then for 15 min.

JohnnyIPA / JON NEIPA

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 10.0
Total Grain (kg): 2.892
Total Hops (g): 187.15
Original Gravity (OG): 1.062 (°P): 15.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.017 (°P): 4.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.93 %
Colour (SRM): 5.2 (EBC): 10.2
Bitterness (IBU): 27.1 (Tinseth)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
2.227 kg American - Pale 2-Row (77%)
0.289 kg American - Wheat (10%)
0.289 kg Flaked Oats (10%)
0.087 kg Canadian - Honey Malt (3%)

Hop Bill
----------------
8.5 g Amarillo Pellet (8.2% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)
14.3 g Citra Pellet (11.8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (1.4 g/L)
8.4 g Mosaic Pellet (12.3% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)

16.0 g Amarillo Pellet (8.2% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (HopStand) (1.6 g/L)
4.0 g Centennial Pellet (10.1% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (HopStand) (0.4 g/L)
16.0 g Citra Pellet (11.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (HopStand) (1.6 g/L)
16.0 g Mosaic Pellet (12.3% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (HopStand) (1.6 g/L)

16.0 g Amarillo Pellet (8.2% Alpha) @ High Krausen (Dry Hop) (1.6 g/L)
4.0 g Centennial Pellet (10.1% Alpha) @ High Krausen (Dry Hop) (0.4 g/L)
16.0 g Citra Pellet (14.1% Alpha) @ High Krausen (Dry Hop) (1.6 g/L)
16.0 g Mosaic Pellet (12.3% Alpha) @ High Krausen (Dry Hop) (1.6 g/L)

16.0 g Amarillo Pellet (8.2% Alpha) @ 7 Days in Fermenter (Dry Hop) (1.6 g/L)
4.0 g Centennial Pellet (10.1% Alpha) @ 7 Days in Fermenter (Dry Hop) (0.4 g/L)
16.0 g Citra Pellet (11% Alpha) @ 7 Days in Fermenter (Dry Hop) (1.6 g/L)
16.0 g Mosaic Pellet (14.1% Alpha) @ 7 Days in Fermenter (Dry Hop) (1.6 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
Single step Infusion at 67°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with London Ale III 1318

Water Additions
----------------
0.1 g Gypsum
0.25 g Calcium Chloride

Water Profile After Additions
----------------
Calcium 125ppm
Magnesium 2ppm
Sodium 12ppm
Sulfate 56ppm
Chloride 160ppm
Bicarbonate 29ppm
S2C Ratio 0.4

Do you like milky ipa's or are you looking to make an IPA more like treehouse or trillium? Because if you are...... I would lose / replace a few items in your grain bill. Notably the wheat, oats and canadian, basically everything but the two row. My water profile slightly differs adding:

1g Gypsum
2g CaCl
1g kosher salt

The best recipe (in my opinion) and the one I suggest using is:

https://trinitybrewers.com/brews/ipa/julius-clone-treehouse-brewing-ipa/

Please look at the grain bill. I have brewed this with brilliant results. Right now on my second batch and almost ready to keg. Keep in mind this style requires low oxygen exposure throughout the entire process and therefore closed tranfers and kegging will make for a vastly superior brew.

Not by any means trying to dissuade you from your attempt (especially if you have all the ingredients already).

Best with your brewing. Looking forward to hearing your results.

I'm not familar with Treehouse or Trillium (not sure if we can get them where I am in Canada), but so far the NEIPAs that I've really enjoyed have had a thick, cloudy appearance, a bright colour kinda like orange juice with a soft mouthfeel. That's the kind of thing I'm going for.

I checked out that recipe and one of the things I find interesting is the S2C is more in line with traditional IPAs, where a lot of the NEIPA recipes I've seen seem to say you should flip that on its head. Plus the trinity recipe is aiming for way higher IBUs (not that I mind, I have a bunch of West-Coast IPA recipes I rather enjoy too).

Well, as my Mexican friend likes to say "porque no los dos?" ... I might just pick up the ingredients to the trinity recipe too and brew it up the week after, see how they compare.

Last edited:
Sounds great, I'm sure it would be amazing to compare them side by side.

I am from NYC where too many IPA's have either too much oats or added lactose that make the mouthfeel chalky and the taste a bit off from my preferred NEIPA's.
The trinity recipe is straight orange juice without the actual fruit addition. It is a bright yellow in the fermentor and when the yeast drops out it turns an awesome dark orange in the carboy. Which equates to a bright opaque orange in the glass. The recipe also gives a very soft and extremely well balanced mouthfeel. As far as the extreme hop addittions go they do fade but you might want to dial back a bit if lower IBU's are preferred. Remember the 60 min hop addition really is the bittering one while the 1 minute, flameout and dry hops are for aroma and body more than anything else. I have also heard that the extreme hopping is part of what keeps it cloudy but I don't know for sure since I always hop too much.
Best with your brewing.....

That description sounds like exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to minimize oxygen exposure when I don't have a keg system... Bottling while trying to reduce O2 is going to be hard. I'm thinking that I'll pour my disolved priming-sugar-in-water solution into the carboy directly through the stopper hole, lower my siphon into it, give it a very light stir, then go straight into bottles from there instead of decanting to a bottling bucket first.

[...] I'm thinking that I'll pour my dissolved priming-sugar-in-water solution into the carboy directly through the stopper hole, lower my siphon into it, give it a very light stir, then go straight into bottles from there instead of decanting to a bottling bucket first.

Don't!

It's impossible to mix the sugar evenly without stirring up the trub at the same time. You'd have no control over the amount of sugar that ends up in each bottle, and get bottles with lots of sugar and bottles with hardly anything.
Instead, rack to another carboy if you have one or use a bottling bucket, it won't make much difference. Don't splash or whip air into the beer. If you cap on foam there will be less air in the bottles too. They should carbonate rather fast, then store in fridge to reduce effects of aging. Drink fast.

You can bottle from the keg when you have a keg system and a bottling wand. This is the best way to have proper carbonation and not have to reintroduce any extra sugar, or have flat bottles and bottles that may explode on you.

Do you like milky ipa's or are you looking to make an IPA more like treehouse or trillium? Because if you are...... I would lose / replace a few items in your grain bill. Notably the wheat, oats and canadian, basically everything but the two row. My water profile slightly differs adding:

1g Gypsum
2g CaCl
1g kosher salt

The best recipe (in my opinion) and the one I suggest using is:

https://trinitybrewers.com/brews/ipa/julius-clone-treehouse-brewing-ipa/

Please look at the grain bill. I have brewed this with brilliant results. Right now on my second batch and almost ready to keg. Keep in mind this style requires low oxygen exposure throughout the entire process and therefore closed tranfers and kegging will make for a vastly superior brew.

Not by any means trying to dissuade you from your attempt (especially if you have all the ingredients already).

Best with your brewing. Looking forward to hearing your results.

Maybe I missed but where is the grain bill percentages/amounts?

Grain Bill
----------------
2.227 kg American - Pale 2-Row (77%)
0.289 kg American - Wheat (10%)
0.289 kg Flaked Oats (10%)
0.087 kg Canadian - Honey Malt (3%)

This is the grain bill to which I was referring from earlier is this thread. In my opinion better examples of a NEIPA do not include oats or honey malt.

If you were intending for me to post the grain bill I have been successfully using... For a 4 gallon batch here it is:

5 lbs Briess Organic 2 row pale
4 lbs Golden Promise
1 lb Carafoam
.68 lb (304g) Briess Aromatic

No oats or honey malt. All the cloudy haziness comes from the hop oils and the cold crashing.

This is the grain bill to which I was referring from earlier is this thread. In my opinion better examples of a NEIPA do not include oats or honey malt.

If you were intending for me to post the grain bill I have been successfully using... For a 4 gallon batch here it is:

5 lbs Briess Organic 2 row pale
4 lbs Golden Promise
1 lb Carafoam
.68 lb (304g) Briess Aromatic

No oats or honey malt. All the cloudy haziness comes from the hop oils and the cold crashing.

This is something I'm going to have to try! When I use a lot of wheat or flaked adjuncts I get issues with lautering and have to use lots of rice hulls. I've never tried not using them but it looks like I need to give it a shot. The Julius clone link you referenced also has some interesting yeast combinations that I'll have to try as well.

I've been brewing NEIPAs almost exclusively for the past year, and my 2 cents would be not to boil Citra at all. I would add all your Citra after flameout. Maybe even 170F and under. I've even gone to 160F (like @Braufessor), added the Citra and continued to cool, with great results. Boiling Citra can lead to undesirable flavors, which I can attest to. Never had issues after flameout.

My last All Citra was fantastic. Such a juice bomb with soft bitterness.

Latest posts

Back