First Cider .... add hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesBrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I read a couple of threads and have wanted to make cider for years. Seemed too simple. Got two different apple ciders from publix, no preservatives. Threw in some WLP001 from the last beer I made. Hopefully I didn't foul it up. Will be carbonated in keg. I was thinking of adding a hop tea like citra. Any thoughts on hop additions?

Maybe start by just dry hopping? It’s easy and gives a lot of that character without the bitterness. If you do make a tea, you could always try adding a few drops to a glass to see how you like it (and how much you want to use).

Ok I'll try that after it ferments a while. As for hop-tea, steeping in hot water a few minutes, like a late addition in beer for flavor and aroma. I'm not interested in boiling or getting any bitterness. Might be awesome with nothing though

After thinking it over and tasting it, I think hops are kind of out of place here. Maybe a fruit addition if anything. It actually tastes pretty good like it is but is fermenting slow. looked like sewage the first few days but now looking like cider.

I dry hopped a couple ciders last year. They were pretty good, and very different. But one of the reason I drink cider is that I am not a huge beer lover--other than an occasional dark stout. So I found no reason to make my ciders taste more like beer.

On the other hand, if you are a beer lover, dry hopping a cider would be a great idea.

I have tasted several commercial hopped ciders and meads and have not found a single one I would deliberately drink again.
Leave the hops in the beer. For cider use honey, spices, or fruits.

I don't want it to be anything like beer, other than carbonated. I think I'll let it go with just apple juice this time. if I add anything to future batches it will probably just be fruit.

If you like the flavor of hops - I am not talking about their acidity , but their flavor - or if you like the aroma of hops you can effectively add them by boiling the hops in a small quantity of water for 10 minutes for flavor (but that will dilute the apple cider) or dry hop by adding the hops directly into the secondary for about 4-7 days (to highlight their aroma).

Hops in tea is such a 21st century invention. My suggestion: Don't.

Not certain: you may be right but hops have been used for a few centuries as a soporific - and I have seen recipes for hop wines (no grains involved) and so the musts involved are essentially "sweet teas".

I dry hopped one keg of cider last fall with Nelson Sauvin hops. Just a touch of back sweetening and it was awesome.

Right, Dave. I don’t think a general cross section of hops will work, but the Nelson was a hit. I originally considered Lemon Drop but glad I chose NS. Other than this one dry hop example, I favor lightly bourbon spiced cider with a vanilla bean. Dry and crisp....looking forward to fall soon!

Yeah... and hops are well known to produce what is known as "brewers' droop" because of their pseudo-estrogen qualities. So why hops are viewed as so wonderful by home brewers is a mite hard for me to comprehend. The gain from using hops is that you snore in your cups while unable to rise to the event when you wake. Funny that gruit herbs were viewed as aphrodisiacs and psychotropics. Hops must have been such a delight for the Puritans. As in most things we collude in our own repression. Sigh.

TeaMaker hops are like no beer hops I’ve ever tasted. They make a great hopped cider and don’t taste like hops!

This came out really tasty. Wow not bad for a first go. 1.009 with the ale yeast. had a hint of sweetness but finished clean, while still. It was really good after I kegged/carbed. the carbonation dried it out a little more. It doesn't seem boozy but beer smith calculated something close to 7%, seems more like 5%. All done with apple juice from Publix

I dry hopped a 5 gallon batch of mine with 1 oz of citra hops for 4 days. It came out great. I will definitely be making more of this one.
Everyone who has sampled it really enjoyed it.

TeaMaker hops are like no beer hops I’ve ever tasted. They make a great hopped cider and don’t taste like hops!

I have a decent supply of dried whole Teamaker Hops from a friend that had 4 year old plants! And a copy of the Lab Analysis report showing the actual Alpha & Betta Acid levels and essential oil content! Unfortunately he just sold his hop farm to someone out of State.

Anyway, he challenged me to brew a drinkable beer using Teamaker Hops!

I just finished my 2nd!

I’ve brewed a Cream Ale and a Milk Stout using his dried whole Teamaker Hops! Both came out pretty good!

Back