First brew, how did I do.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tag0304

Reaction score
Ok I finally got my first batch in the primary. Other than helping my dad 20+ years ago when he got into brewing this is my first time on my own. Started with a basic extract kit. Brewers Best American Light.

I started with about 6.3 gallons of water. I had read some online that average is 1 gallon loss an hour boil. Some people said they hit the 5 perfect with 6 gallons, and others with 6.5 gallons start. I went in the middle. Everything went perfect (in my newbie eyes). I followed the schedule and hit all the times correct. I know my turkey fryer and have used it lots so I was able to control any boil overs with quick adjustments with the burners. Got close once to foaming over but corrected quickly.

FERMENTABLES
3.3 lb. Light LME
1.0 lb. Pilsen DME
8 oz. Corn Sugar
8 oz. Rice Syrup Solids
HOPS
.5 oz. Brewer’s Gold
.5 oz. Cluster

Schedule
1. Add .5 oz. Brewer’s Gold hops
2. Boil 40 minutes
3. Add 1 lb. DME, 8 oz. Corn Sugar
and 8 oz. Rice Syrup Solids
4. Boil 5 minutes
5. Add .5 oz. Cluster hops
6. Boil final 10 minutes
7. Terminate boil

Everything above went on schedule. One thing I can say, it being over 20 years since helping my dad so I dont even remember much about it. But the smell was terrific. Great aroma after adding those hops. The only thing I had go wrong was during the cool down. I used a wort chiller and had it hooked up to the hose. Started the water and watched it for awhile as it was first time using one (dad did ice baths to cool) and wanted to really see how much faster the temps dropped. And they did drop quickly. I briefly went inside after about 10 minutes of watching it during cool down and came back out 2 minutes later. I noticed a water drip from chiller connection falling into wort. More so right on the edge of pot but some was dripping into wort. I would estimate and the drip rate that at most in the time I was gone (it was not dripping for the first 10 minutes before going inside) is maybe 10-20 drips. It was extremely slow. I quickly adjusted the copper so the ends hung outside and slightly lower then pot so no more drip. Also tightened the ends which stopped in anyways but now I know, next time just make sure those are over edge. I found more then a few cases of this here in the forums and the consensus seems to be everything will be fine. Most don't do full boil and add tap with no bad results.

I have a hydrometer and a refractometer. My dad always used hydro, but I was intrigued by the refracto so picked one up. Aware of all the calculations that go into using a refracto especially post ferm I figured I would always count on the hydro. But I did like the ability to use a sterile clean spoon to take a small sample during boil near end and cool it and get a reading. Doing that I was right on track to hitting the projected O.G. of 1.037 - 1.041. After cooling I took another reading with hydro and was at 1.039. And I hit my 5 gallon mark when transferring into my carboy almost perfect.

I tried to splash as much as I could during transfer, and also gave some agitation to it prior to pitching yeast. Now the part I already know I will get pointed out as not the way to do it :cross: . I dry pitched the nottingham yeast directly on the wort. Thats what the directions say and I know already many say to rehydrate regardless. Its even what Danstar says to do. But I also know most will say it will still work fine. Next time I will do it different, and I was planning on rehydrating this time but during all of it somewhere along the lines I said screw it, Ill just follow the written instructions.

So its been sitting now 24 hours in the basement at a constant 60 F. No action yet from the yeast but pointed out many times in these forums stickies is dont worry about it, 24-72 hours it can take sometimes. I expect not rehydrating and the 60 F may slow the start down some? Im not worried yet, just happy to have my first batch in a primary and already thinking about what to make next. I had originally planned on transferring to a secondary but I am undecided now if that is what I would do. Anxious to start another batch and only have one Primary right now so the sooner I can free it up the quicker I can start another.
:mug:

Looking good to me. If you don't see action I the next 12 hours I would suggest raising the temp a bit and maybe gently shaking the fermenter to rouse up the yeast. Most ale yeast strains seem to like a warmer temperature (between 65 to 70) to get started. Once you see active signs of fermentation, you can bring the temps down to the recommended range for that yeast.

Don't worry it will take off soon just leave it where it is cool as this yeast can give unwanted flavors if the temp is much over 64 or so.:)

She's a brewin. Checked on it this morning ≈32 hours and no krausen yet, but I noticed the airlock go a couple times. Got home from work 10 hours later and thick krausen layer, airlock bubbling. :rockin: Been at a constant 60° F.

Looking for some advice, suggestions, tips, etc. I have been thinking about transferring into a secondary. I have read a few topics here on people adding things in secondary to flavor the beer some. One I am interested in trying is peppers. I had a chili beer before and loved it (big fan of spicy things). But I know most including my wife wouldnt like it. I thought about adding to bottles at bottling time as it seems to work for some. But I also read the best is in secondary. Not wanting to commit to 5 gallons I was thinking about a few options.

A.) Keep in primary till fermenting done and ready for bottling. Transfer to bottling bucket but then transfer some into some 1 gallon growlers with airlocks and peppers in it. Bottle rest up and let the growlers sit a week then transfer them to bucket for bottling.

B.) Keep in primary till gravity levels off and transfer majority into secondary carboy splitting off some into 1 gallon growler with peppers (or other fruits, thinking about maybe doing 2 or 3 growlers with different things in them) Giving it all another week then bottling everything up same day (original untouched beer, and experimental growlers). Seems like this is a better option as everything is out and bottling once instead of 2 separate times. And I think a taste sample of some of the other flavored beers may determine if they need to be diluted down some with untouched beer.

Whats your guys take on this? Interested in getting a few different flavors from 1-5 gallon batch but most would be untouched. This way if one turns out horrible its just 1 gallon instead of 5. Anything I should be cautious of should I do this? I realize priming sugar would need to be measured out accurately and have found a few of the calculators online for that. One thing I come across different techniques here are proper cleaning of peppers, or whatever else I add to secondary. Some soak in vodka, seeds out. Some boil briefly before adding. Some even suggested soaking them in Star San then dropping in the secondary. ideas, suggestions ? Thanks.

for additions I have 2 approaches I generally take.

Early
as soon as fermentation has slowed and buubles are less constant you can add additional items. Fermentation at this time is still active and adding anything with significant sugars will begin to ferment and dry out. If youve done a batch of apfelwien yet youl know what Im getting at. Apples dont tast like they started.

Late.
add items after fermentation has basially completed, enough time to leach the flavour without significant renewed fermentation. helps retain more of the original flavour, assuming your ABV is high enough that the yeast wont have much chance at renewing fermentation due to alcohol in a beer or adding Pot. Sorbet killing the yeast in winemaking.

Peppers Id assume have little sugars but who knows that capascaisin could mask it. Im sure you could find an online chart with peppers to determine if bottling with peppers and priming is overdoing it. Both early and late have their merits watch your FG if sugar contents are unknown before bottling. The Growlers are a great way to play around with it though.

Being your first brew I'd err on the side of caution and just leave it in primary for 2 weeks then bottle. See how it turns out just being a regular beer. If you really want a pepper beer then go with option A and only use a gallon.

Back