Fireboard digital thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyg

Reaction score
I recently received a Fireboard digital thermometer as a gift. It is a USB-chargable unit, with a digital display and wi-fi connectivity to the cloud. You can download a free app to your phone and track temperature realtime. It will monitor 6 channels at 5 second intervals.

I first used it of course on a barbecue, cooking a shoulder over about 10 hours. I monitored ambient, pit, and internal meat temperature. Setup was super easy, and the dataset is prodigious. Probes are on 6 foot leads.

I thought about the old bi-metal thermometer I use floating in a cork to monitor the temperature of my mashes...

I drilled a proper hole in that cork and installed a Fireboard probe into it, and began my mash. I did a protein rest at 118, intending to do two sacchrification rests, one at 145F, another at 155F, with the usual 170F mashout.

The differential readings between my bi-metal and the Fireboard unit were relatively small at the 118F rest; Fireboard indicating 116, dial at 118. A substantial differential came at the 145F rest, Fireboard indicating I'd overshot and held at 155. So, change of brew schedule, I held the 155F rest for a bit longer than planned.

Anyway, it's super easy, the dataset is a datageek's dream, it transfers easily between bbq and brewhouse needs, and I like hell out of it. It's a bit spendy, but my friends were generous.

I've no interest in Fireboard, only an owner. For those of you looking for more precision in your data gathering, it's currently in my mind the best product out there.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back