Finally I got my two new hop plants - Hallertauer(US) & Tettnanger Need Growing Tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMS

Reaction score
I been wanting to grow hops now for a while and I finally got around to ordering them. Would anyone know how these two types will do here in South Coast Mass? I can plant with Easterly exposure and if I plant the root ball in center of yard it will get full sun all day long, but I plant it to the left side of my yard the root ball will get some filtered shade from some trees, then I can trellis the vines out over to full sun. Any suggestions on my planting ideas?

IMG_9874.jpg

I'm not sure about those two varieties specifically but Massachusetts in general is well suited for growing hops. I have a similar situation, I grow my hops against a picket fence that gets part shade until the tops of the hops grow past the fence, they do fine and I get a good harvest every year.

My hops get a mix of sun and shade throughout the day. The first year was very moderate in growth. This is the second year and they have taken off like wildfire. I add a little miracle grow once a month.

Back