Filter for removing fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In talking with another brewer about filtering hops from a NEIPA, they informed me that they use a "whole house water filter" to filter their hops. So something like this...
1597774034712.png
1597774077348.png

Currently, I have a fruited sour that I'm going to be kegging this weekend. I went to go do a dump last night and I think I'm going to have a problem with clogs again. So I'm looking to get a filter.

Anyone used a filter like this before? What was your experience?

I do plan to crash for 4 days and do multiple dumps to try and reduce my issue, but I'm still concerned about clogs after my last experience. Granted, this is fruit this time and not hops so might be different... I don't know.

Thoughts on this?

wouldn't that risk contamination and oxidation?

That's kind of why I'm asking - never used it and don't know. I would think (and could very well be wrong) that contamination and oxidation wouldnt' be an issue. People use plate filters and don't have issues with those and it works in a similar manner. I do have a plate filter but it's a pain in the ass to use. Leaks like a sieve if you don't tighten it all correctly so I won't use that.

Are you cold crashing? I fruit a lot of different types of beer as well as heavily dryhop ipas (8-10oz in a 5 gallon) and have zero issues ever with clogging after crashing.

the problem with those filters is they can easily leave an air bubble at the top of canister. If you’re able to turn it upside down and what not to get the air out then you can make it work. You’ll wanna pack it with sanitizer first. Run off the sanitizer and then just go right into the keg.
definitely need to crash good and hard. Maybe look into pectin enzyme too. and buy one of dgallos magic fermenters that never clog!!

Forgot to add, you can also try something simpler by taking one or two stainless steel scrubbies and wrapping around diptube, especially the floating kind. I even wrapped that whole thing in a hop bag once, it got real slow at the end but it worked.

Are you cold crashing? I fruit a lot of different types of beer as well as heavily dryhop ipas (8-10oz in a 5 gallon) and have zero issues ever with clogging after crashing.

Yes I cold crash. I'm going to start cold crashing tonight I think.

The funny thing is that right now, I have this beer split up between 2 fermenters because of the size of the batch. I have 15 gallons in the unitank and I have 2.5 gallons in a fermonster.

The fermonster - SUPER easy to get beer out of it even with the fruit and the hops.
The unitank - clogs on me all the time. I have a hell of a time getting beer out of that thing when there's a lot of fruit or hops in it.

I gotta figure it out or I'm going to move to all fermonsters and big mouth bubblers...

Forgot to add, you can also try something simpler by taking one or two stainless steel scrubbies and wrapping around diptube, especially the floating kind. I even wrapped that whole thing in a hop bag once, it got real slow at the end but it worked.

I'll keep that in mind for future batches. Unfortunately, doesn't help too much right now with beer in the tank.

Or are you referring to the dip tube in the keg?

Floating diptube or keg diptube. Depends on which one you’re using to ferment. You can also stuff the scrubbies into a sight glass if you’re using a conical.

I'm going to keg tomorrow my fruited sour. I used 12 lbs of apricots.

I plan to use a brewers hardware inline filter. I've done it before with heavily hopped neipas with success.

I'm also using a unitank, so I'll take pictures of what I've got and report the success of it. This will be my first time using any fruit.

I'm going to keg tomorrow my fruited sour. I used 12 lbs of apricots.

I plan to use a brewers hardware inline filter. I've done it before with heavily hopped neipas with success.

I'm also using a unitank, so I'll take pictures of what I've got and report the success of it. This will be my first time using any fruit.
I've been on the fence with that strainer myself. Lots of mixed opinions on it. How heavy have you dry hopped a batch and used that strainer from brewers hardware?

Cant remember. Its roughly a foot long I think. Dont get the smallest size mesh filter. I use a few different ones depending on what ita use is for. For fruit, I'm going to use a big one. Tempted to even go no screen as I'm only expecting to block chunks. Might not get that brave.

I used it in my entire process one time. Attaches it to the top of my rims tube to filter during the mash and transfer to kettle. Never seen wort so crystal clear. I've got an old thread here somewhere on that.

Used it from kettle to unitank after whirlpooling before plate chiller. I cant stress enough, you need to whirlpool good. Cold break proteins and hop particles can clog it instantly. Use a very course mesh if doing it for that. I ended up not using it for that part. It clogs quick with fast moving turbid wort. It can be used successfully, but it has to be done right and patiently.

From unitank to keg is my predominant use. Still need a good serious cold crash. It works great for this function. I've even used it directly from unitank to bottling, but I feel like the fine mesh screen can knock C02 out of solution. It needs to be pressurized the whole way. Courser mesh works better when direct bottling.

Will do mine up tomorrow and post connection pictures.

Working like a charm. Flow is slow and smooth, no clogs. I'll post again with a disassembled filter to show what was caught. Here's the basic setup for now.

One keg done and filling the 2nd now.

Attachments

• 20200823_105448.jpg
    20200823_105448.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
  • 20200823_105454.jpg
    20200823_105454.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
  • 20200823_105503.jpg
    20200823_105503.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
Dang. Thing blocked a lot more than I expected. For the flow rate, it was perfect. Wasnt expecting the filter to look like this.

Attachments

• 15982074940324552705148759581064.jpg
    15982074940324552705148759581064.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
You've got me convinced!! I'm going to buy one of those.

When you get a minute, if you could measure the OD of the filter housing and let me know if it's 3" or 4", I'd appreciate it!

I'd day 3. Attached a picture for reference. My memory sucks. I thought the chiller coil opening on the unitank was 4 inches. It fits up to that perfectly.

I had considered making one of those dry hop canisters out of it. Put a spunding valve on top attached to a butterfly valve partially cracked. Never did, but in theory it would work. Just replace the included pressure valve with a emergency blow off, or put it somewhere else, like teed off the blow off arm.

Attachments

• 20200824_064116.jpg
    20200824_064116.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • 20200824_064140.jpg
    20200824_064140.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Yep you got the 3" one. Brewers Hardware has a 4" as well so I was curious what size you were using. Everyone seems to be using the 3".

Funny you say that. I just built one of those dry hop canisters myself! The typical parts list, not from one of these filters...

20200811_193803.jpg

Be careful in picking the filter sleeves. My advice is to go ahead and buy a few. Whatever you think you need, get a littler bigger. Just spend the extra 5 bucks to try a few sizes.

I've had it clog before in just a few seconds when using too small a mesh, or when I didn't cold crash enough. Use it careful and it works perfect.

It takes me about a half an hour to fill a keg. I transfer slowly.

Been so long since I bought any, I cant remember. Cant find a receipt. I know I've got one of the .2mm. Dont buy that one.

I want to say I used the .8mm for fruit. Probably will for hops next time.

Back