Fermentis S-04 ferment temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtstrider

Reaction score
Hello peeps! I have a question about ferment temps in regards to a recipe that's getting brewed this weekend. It's my take on the all grain Tallgrass Halcyon wheat brew from Northern Brewer. The recipe calls for Wyeast 1098 but I would like to use s-04. Long story short I'm more comfortable with dry yeast and have not finished up a stir plate yet (waiting on the stir bar from China). So my question is the instructions call for 1098 pitched at 67F. This seems to be middle of the road for that yeast per the recommended ferment temps (64F-72F) in the instructions and Wyeasts site. After further reading it seems like S-04 would be a viable substitute for a dry version. After looking at the Fermentis site (https://fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/SafAle-S-04.pdf) it looks like the middle of the road for S-04 would be in the 63F range (59F-68F). Would it be safe to say that 63F would be a good ferment temp for this brew?

Here's the Tallgrass link to their site

http://tallgrassbeer.com/halcyon/

(not adding pectin to this brew)

and here's the northern brewer link

https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/tallgrass-halcyon-unfiltered-wheat-pro-series-all-grain-kit

As a general rule ales do best on the lower end of the temperature range and lager yeasts do better on the higher end of their range. Because US-04 is an ale yeast I would try to get it settled around the 59° mark.

I run S04 at 64°F for my 100+ point stouts to keep the beast at bay , but I run the same strain at 66°F for my ~70-point neipas to get the tasty notes...

Cheers!

61-67 here. I use it in a ton of beers, mainly on the lower end. It's clean when it's cool, and is not afraid of big beers. And it floccs like it's afraid of going in a keg.

What would you recommend fermenting at temp wise in the Halcyon wheat brew?

61-67 here. I use it in a ton of beers, mainly on the lower end. It's clean when it's cool, and is not afraid of big beers. And it floccs like it's afraid of going in a keg.

Well that's because any British yeast with an ounce of self-respect, would only allow itself to go in cask...

Been reading up and looks like the lower end of the spectrum would fit this brew well. Going to try 62ish since I have a temp controlled ferm chamber and will report back the results

Just pitched the yeast and set to 63. Will report back at sampling time

Going to try 62ish since I have a temp controlled ferm chamber and will report back the results
On a serious note. What temp would you usually ferment S04 now? I just pitched mine at 18C (64f) two days ago but forgot to keep an eye on it and it has free rised to 20C.(68f) (Its at its peak fermentation). Should i try to lower it or maintain 20C for now. Maybe throw small ice pack near it to make sure that heat from the activity wont rise the temp?
What if by that i end up lowering the temp few degrees mid ferm?

I have started letting my S04 free rise up to 70 or 71 and capping it there. The falls naturally as fermentation slows down. I look for an average temp over 3 weeks around 66°F. That may change this summer when ambient temperatures are warmer and I will need to control temperature more aggressively. I have used ice packs and wet towels previously, but now have an ice pack swamp cooler setup that works well for ale temperatures.
20220706_185706.jpg
20231128_074945.jpg

I have started letting my S04 free rise up to 70 or 71 and capping it there. The falls naturally as fermentation slows down. I look for an average temp over 3 weeks around 66°F. That may change this summer when ambient temperatures are warmer and I will need to control temperature more aggressively. I have used ice packs and wet towels previously, but now have an ice pack swamp cooler setup that works well for ale temperatures.View attachment 844645View attachment 844646
Nice setup. I have corner in the house wich stays consistently 16-18c (60-64f) from autumn to spring depending on the temps outside. Thats pretty much perfect but right before peak fermentation i have to use small ice packs in advanced to fight the temp rise caused by yeast.
For lagers i have perfect cellar that is 9c(48f) throughout the winter and 12-14c (53-57f) summer.

I could be wrong but it seems like American brewers tend to ferment English yeasts cool, as clean yeast profiles seem to be what the majority want? Whereas in the UK we look for a bit of yeast character to meld with the malts, and some relatively restrained English hops.

Does that sound like truth, or nonsense?!

Published range is 64F - 72F but I never let it rise above 67. Temp controlled fermentation at 65 is my norm for S04.
Published range is actually 18-26°C (64.4-78.8°F).
I have fermented with S-04 up to about 74 F. It turned out very clean and dare I say lager-like. NOT fruity.
I've never worried about temperature with S-04 and this has been my experience as well. With the consistent ambient temperature in my basement, it never gets above about 74 and it's always clean.

I could be wrong but it seems like American brewers tend to ferment English yeasts cool, as clean yeast profiles seem to be what the majority want? Whereas in the UK we look for a bit of yeast character to meld with the malts, and some relatively restrained English hops.

We also tend to believe that English brewers tend to ferment on the cool side. Whether that is true or not, we don't know nor do we ask, so it's probably a poor assumption on the part of Americans.

I did because that's what I had read. However, a friend with much more experience told me to relax and let the yeast run a bit. I'm still a bit wary so I don't suppress but restrain.

On a serious note. What temp would you usually ferment S04 now? I just pitched mine at 18C (64f) two days ago but forgot to keep an eye on it and it has free rised to 20C.(68f) (Its at its peak fermentation). Should i try to lower it or maintain 20C for now. Maybe throw small ice pack near it to make sure that heat from the activity wont rise the temp?
What if by that i end up lowering the temp few degrees mid ferm?
Heck if I know lol It's been forever and a day since I've used that strain, or a variant ;)

I like to pitch at the low end, around 64, let it run at that temp a couple days, then let it free-rise to upper 60s or maybe 70. I get those fruity, Brit-like esters, but no off-flavors.
Thats what i have understood is safest way with most of the yeast. Pitch at lower side of recommendation let the yeast get going and then slowly free rise.

Probably those first days are the most crucial

If you can believe what you read on the internet, including here at HBT, they've changed it more than once over at least the last 8 years or so. I know at one point is was 15-20C (59-68F) and I also know that the last time they updated it they kept using their old inventory of packaging labeled with the previous recommendation. So I think it's possible that one could still get an unexpired sachet with the old temp range

Recently I brewed a 'english brown ale' beer with S04. The fermentation got quite warm, surely in the upper range and possibly above. After 6 - 7 weeks of bottle conditioning there are the classic english fruity esters and a bit of what I would consider a slight off-flavor. The beer in general is drinkable and enjoyable however fermenting a bit cooler would not hurt. The fermentation was a 'belgian' style free rise.

Latest posts

Back