Fermenting in ball lock kegs (10gal)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cswant88

Reaction score
I just saw that More Beer has 10 & 15gal ball lock Torpedo kegs in stock for $200 & $220 respectively. This is the first time I've seen new ball locks greater than 5gal readily available. I've been long considering fermenting in ball lock kegs, in order to easily purge a serving keg with active fermentation gasses, carbonate with spunding valve, do close system transfers, etc. I guess the only thing really holding me back is not being able to do a full 5 gallon batch in a 5gal corny without getting blow off in the serving keg I'm trying to purge. I suppose you could run a 3rd keg or vessel between your fermenting and serving kegs to catch the blow off. If it's another keg, it would probably be another 5gal you'd need to liquid purge first.

For those that have fermented in corny kegs this way, what would you recommend, given your experiences? Do you end up with full 5 gallons in your serving kegs, and if so, how do you manage blow off? Would a 10gal keg be something you would even want/need? Also, do you liquid purge first, on top of the ferm gas purge?

I know this is relatively cheap compared to a stainless conical or brew bucket that can handle 15+ psi, but if the job can be done with a $20 used corny, it may still be a waste of money. Just looking for thought/opinions. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back