Fermentation Time for 15 minute extract beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byronyasgur

Reaction score
I had planned to brew one of the 15 minute extract beers tonight - something like this one for instance -
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=210253
The actual recipe is a bit different but it's still the same notty yeast - batch size will be 12 litres ( 3 G )

My only problem is I realised I'm away from this day week and I'd need the beer bottled that day - or at least out of the fermentation fridge somehow and I don't have many cool places to store it. I usually wait 2 weeks for fermentation to be done and I rarely even bother checking the gravity anymore because they all seem to be well done at that point ( no bottle bombs yet ) ... Sometimes it's like they're done in 3 or 4 days even though I never check at that point because I'm usually going to dry hop them in primary anyway so I wouldn't be bothering bottling them that stage one way or the other... I'm just wondering though would anyone know how long this beer would typically take to come down. I usually ferment at around 18c ( 64.4 f) and I often do a starter and add yeast nutrient ... I know the yeast is in charge at the end of the day but I just wonder what people think - would it definitely be down in the week - or should I definitely postpone my brewday

I can post the exact recipe if it makes any difference it's just a bit awkward

EDIT: Just read through some of the other pages on that post - wow people are leaving this in primary for 30 days - not sure what that's about. What temperatures would it be kept at for the 30 days if doing that does anybody know. My options would be a) in a regular fridge or b) in my house which could get pretty hot - I think maybe up to the high 70s or the low 80s ( which I know is too high for notty but this would be after a week of primary fermentation at proper temperatures )

I am not sure what your problem really is.

But fermentation could easily be done in a week. But you should still take two gravity readings to be sure. If done you can bottle it then.
You can keep it cool for the first week, then put the fermenter somewhere not too warm. Stable is more important than how warm.
You can leave it cool for quite a while.
I left a beer in primary for 5 1/2 months due to life getting in the way. 2-3 weeks cooled and the rest of the time in the basement.

I am not sure what your problem really is.
You can keep it cool for the first week, then put the fermenter somewhere not too warm. Stable is more important than how warm.

yea my problem is I don't have anywhere either stable or not too warm to put it for the week

It is more than likely that you would be perfectly fine to move the beer to sit somewhere warmer after one week.
It might be a lot warmer though - I'm not sure - it could get to 85F - and not stable either - that's my concern - I guess it could fluctuate 65 to 85 - actually probably more like 68 - 75 but ???

You can leave it cool for quite a while.
I left a beer in primary for 5 1/2 months due to life getting in the way. 2-3 weeks cooled and the rest of the time in the basement.

No damage will be done to the beer if you leave it at 64°F for 4 to 6 weeks, or longer.

cant leave it at 64 for the week - aside from warm/unstable my only option is to put it in a fridge at around 34F ( regular fridge temps ) ... I'm just wondering whether i could maybe leave put it to 34 for the week I'm away ( after the week of fermentation ) - even if the fermentation is not 100% done ( I'm sure it would be close to done ) - then put it back at 64F for a few days - all a bit messy sounding though - or is it ? - I might just wait till I get back

What would your average ambient room temp be? Any way you could do a swamp cooler and toss in some frozen water jugs or something? It'd help keep your temps down real cool for a few days and they would slowly creep back up.
I can keep my temps around 68* with just water and a wet t-shirt and my fermenter in a 72* room. If I add an ice jug I can get down to 63*

What would your average ambient room temp be? Any way you could do a swamp cooler and toss in some frozen water jugs or something? It'd help keep your temps down real cool for a few days and they would slowly creep back up.
I can keep my temps around 68* with just water and a wet t-shirt and my fermenter in a 72* room. If I add an ice jug I can get down to 63*
I was sort of thinking I might do something like this actually - I think I did a bit of that before I got my fridge - but in the end I just thought I'd leave it till I got back - a couple of things came up too.

Thanks to everybody for all the helpful comments - this forum really is the most helpful spot on the internet - :mug:

Latest posts

Back