Fermentation Temperature Management

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TangBrewDo

Reaction score
Hi folks! Noob here. My wife got me a Mr. Beer kit for Xmas (she was warned about the gateway drug she just introduced haha). The particular starter recipe I have (Bewitched Amber Ale) specifies a fermentation temperature between 68-78 Fahrenheit (ideal 70-72) and a 70-76 range for bottling carbonation. My issue is that it's February in Michigan, and I keep the thermostat at 65. There is no place in the house that I can maintain a consistent temp warm enough. Before I start trying to engineer my own solution and reinvent the wheel, I was wondering what solutions others have come up with to manage their temps.

I use a very complicated method of pointing a space heater at my fermenter when my basement gets too cold for the strain I'm using. I've also seen quite a few people have good luck with seedling mats off amazon.

With that said the yeast will generate it's own heat while it's in primary fermentation, so if your house is ~65F the beer will actively ferment ~68-70F. Throw a blanket/towel over the fermenter to help keep the heat from the yeast in, and you'll likely have a good temperature.

I don't know what yeast strain comes with that kit (or any Mr Beer kit), but 65F ambient is perfect for most ale yeasts. You could replace the yeast with a packet of Safale US05 which definitely works well at your temps. As above, yeast will generate some heat during fermentation, but on an 8.5L batch it will probably only be a couple of degrees F. Don't stress about bottle carb temp - if it's cooler, it just takes a bit longer (more like three to four weeks instead of two to three).

Thanks for the info. The yeast strain isn't specified, just says Dry Brewing Yeast. Trying to follow the instructions as closely as possible my first time around. Don't want to have my first batch turn out bad and get discouraged.

US05 won't turn out bad. But, if you're determined to stick with the pack yeast and kit instructions, a heat pad or belt connected to a temperature controller is a typical way to go. In summer when you have the reverse problem, the temperature controller can run a cheap fridge to maintain cooler fermentation temperatures. STC1000 temperature controllers can be picked up quite cheap on ebay.

Out of curiosity I did a quick google, and I'm not honestly sure what yeast strain they give as they don't seem to list it anywhere, but as everyone has already stated 65F ambient is a fine temperature for 99.9% of ale yeasts. Their pack is likely something very similar to US-05 if not a repackage of it, so I wouldn't worry. The reviews on the Mr Beer website show that plenty of people have used it at a wide range of temperatures.

what i did in the past, before i had all the temp equipment .. you could, cool your wort down to about 75 to 80 and pitch it at that temp. personally i wouldnt go any higher then 75. pitching warm can help with a faster start and once fermentation starts it will naturally rise in temperature. when i started i brewed many batches at below perfect temps and had good beer, yes it may extend the fermentation time and carbonation time but at 65 i would not have any concern. you are better off being on the cooler side of fermentation then to warm, to warm results in more off flavors.if using clear glass carboy just be sure to keep it out of direct light, in a closet or wrap a towel around it... or both.

It’s been years since I did a Mr. Beer and when I was doing them it was just a white packet with no info on it.
65f ambient temp will be fine.
Mr. Beer was fun to get started with and play with recipes.
once you start to play with the recipes the first thing you’ll want to do is upgrade your yeast.
The biggest complaint I had once I figured out what I was doing is the timeline they give. They make it sound like you’ll be drinking beer in no time flat.
the biggest thing I found was give it at least a month after bottling

I had great success with S05 at 61 F ambient room temp. Don’t sweat it it will ferment.

Hi folks! Noob here. My wife got me a Mr. Beer kit for Xmas (she was warned about the gateway drug she just introduced haha). The particular starter recipe I have (Bewitched Amber Ale) specifies a fermentation temperature between 68-78 Fahrenheit (ideal 70-72) and a 70-76 range for bottling carbonation. My issue is that it's February in Michigan, and I keep the thermostat at 65. There is no place in the house that I can maintain a consistent temp warm enough. Before I start trying to engineer my own solution and reinvent the wheel, I was wondering what solutions others have come up with to manage their temps.

Weird. I am in the United Kingdom.....it's February here too!

Welcome to the community!

Like most have said, 65 degrees should be fine for your first batch. Just give it an extra week to ferment and clean up after themselves. Same goes for bottle carbonation. Have patients and take detailed notes so you can reference back to on your next batch. Three years from now you’ll be brewing on a custom built one barrel eherms system! Poor wife doesn’t know what she just did.

Don’t worry and have a home brew 🍻

Well this first batch turned out really nice. Had it fermenting for 2 weeks, and another 3 weeks in the bottle. Nice color, good flavor, a little dry maybe. Would have liked just a little more carbonation, but that's nitpicking. I've already upgraded to some amber grolsch style bottles for the next batch👍
20210124_164508.jpg

20210203_233500.jpg

Latest posts

Back