Fermentation schedule adjustment due to warmer temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlfarrell

Reaction score
So I'm following this recipe with some adjustments https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2...9771891-1526775398667.pdf?3058944553421699209.

Namely, I used WLP-005 and I am skipping the secondary. The primary fermentation and period after that, I've been dealing with warmer temperatures of about 72-75 degrees (its the best I can do with my appartment in the san diego summer). Lets just be glad that I'm not affected by that big heat wave.

Anyways, my question is, because my beer has been conditioning warmer - should I cut down on the amount of time that it spends in primary altogether? I read online that warmer temps tend to speed up the time it takes for beer to age.

The original recipe asks for 1-2 in primary, and 2-4 in secondary before bottling
My original plan was to do 4 weeks in primary and then just bottle.

Now I'm wondering if.. 4 weeks in primary is going to be too much with the beer sitting at a warmer temp.

Due to Life, I've had beer in primary bucket/BigMouthBubbler/carboy for as long as 2 months, and as long as you aren't one of *THOSE* who opens the lid every 68.3 seconds to look at it, it's fine.

Let it be. Go the 3-4 weeks in primary without touching it, looking at it, talking to its best friend in the theater, and you'll be fine.

> and as long as you aren't one of *THOSE* who opens the lid every 68.3 seconds to look at it, it's fine.

Worst I've done was take a 2 oz sample 1 week in from the spigot and swapped out the blowoff container & water. Beer has seen no open air since brew day.

Latest posts

Back