FermCap-S vs Patcote 376

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KPSquared

Reaction score
I've read quite a bit of discussion that leads me to believe FermCap really needs to be filtered from beer before it is consumed. I REALLY don't like the idea of silicon in my beer at all. I've been working to eliminate all plastic from my brewing process because it just sits badly with me and FermCap is another one of those things I'm not sure I want to deal with.

Does anyone use Patcote 376 on a regular basis? It's vegetable oil based and seems like a pretty legit product. I've seen it mentioned a few times in a few threads but FermCap still seems to be the go-to anti-foam agent.

Patcote 376 Link

The reason I need it is because I'm starting to use Corny kegs as fermenters (and no chill and serving vessels as well) and they need some sort of an de-foamer to keep everything under control just due to space restrictions.

So no one has really used it much. I chose not to give my son baby drops for the same reason. I don't like ingesting silicon. I guess I'll just order it and try it for myself. I don't care about the boil, it's during fermentation that I need foam control.

A local microbrewer said another reason they like it is because the Patcote376 provides the fatty acids (like olive oil). However they also inject O2 into their wort.

I know this is an old thread but I figure I would chime in with my experience. I've been using it the last two years after learning about the negatives of silicone (after all I got rid of all plastic in my brewing, I don't want to add liquid silicon and hope it settles out).

I did try fermcap and boy did it work nicely with kettle and fermenter foam. Patcote 376 works although not as well. I find their '1 drop per gallon' is not enough. Could be the dispensor I use makes smaller drops (bought the 1 ounce bottle on eBay). I drop 2-4 times the amount to get an effect.

I've since upgraded my kettle to one that is taller so I don't have any more foam issues in my kettle. When I used to use carboys (now I have SS brew buckets) I would often get significant blowoff. Patcote would help and reduced foam by about 1/2 (using about 20 drops per 5 gallons).

Now I really only use it on my starters that fill my flask. I added 4 drops to my starter last night and no issues with foam. How I add it to the fermentor is I microwave a shot glass of water until it boils. Add the drops to it for them to steralize, wait for it to cool and then add to vessel. I found if I did it at flameout a lot of the oil would get stuck to the wall of the kettle and not transfer into the fermenter. Using the shot glass method minimizes this issue (there is still some residue on the glass).

The reason why I'm posting this is because I'm searching for some more. I'm not sure if mine was too cold (stored in the garage) but when I used it last night it appears to have separated slightly and a thick goo came out first followed by the more liquidy oil. Either way it still works in preventing foam. Also it appears the one eBay seller that was offering home brewer sizes isn't longer selling it? Anyone else know where to score some in small quantities?

Thing about Fermcap S (or any polysiloxane-based food grade anti-foam) is that it floats totally on the surface. So whether you're racking, bottling, or keg-tapping out from under it--and leaving some liquid behind--it's not ultimately going into your bottle or glass. This is why it doesn't kill the head at serving time.

Only place I wouldn't put it is IN the bottle or glass.

Back