Fake Conical Bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone tried putting a wide, cone-shaped pan in the bottom of a bucket or other flat-bottomed fermenter, to reduce the trub on the bottom? Seems like it could make a difference. I like using spigots on buckets, but they are right down there with the trub.

If you are adding the spigots yourself, place them up the side a little. If you already have the pre-drilled buckets then that Hop Stopper screen is a great idea. With a little creativity you might be able to fabricate your own or try installing one of those Bazooka screens. I have not used them myself.

It just occurred to me that trub probably falls almost straight down, so if I could get most of it to fall into a dish sort of thing, less would go out the spigot.

I was thinking of that.

I figured some genius already had the answer, though.
Not sure how it would attach to you spigot. I bought this SS clip from Amazon that clamps to a pipe that might work:
1676916683979.png

I have a 60L Garman plastic tank used for wine. When I put it in the fermenting chest, I put a 3/4 board on the spigot end so the trub falls toward the back. Works pretty well. I will lift it out of the chest and let it set overnight on top of the chest with the wood in place to take care of any shakeup while lifting. I use a small 12V 4x4 winch for lifting, so shaking is minimum anyway. Next day is transferring to secondaries, and I tilt them the same way.

Put a scrap of 2x4 under the front edge of the bucket to tilt it away from the spigot during fermentation and settling. Then move it to the back edge during the transfer. Nothing new to clean.

Back