EZboil DSPR320 running a RIMS tube - suggestions on programing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdude76

Reaction score
What I thought I could do, and what it actually can do might not be the same.
Would like to have programed the mash steps to also include output power. But looks like I can't do that.

I wonder if when I am in "HOLD" mode on the program,

mPRG m1S 165.
m1t SKIP Skip step to sync alarm
m2S 165
m2t HOLD Raise temp to 165 then sound alarm to put in grain ( I want this at Max output, it is just water)
m3S 153
m3t 1:00 Hold at 153 for 1 hour ( I want this at reduced output to avoid scorching)
m4S 153
m4t 0:15 Raise temp to 172 for 15 min ( I want this at reduced output to avoid scorching)
m5S 172
m5t hold
m6S 172
m6t END

I use a 310 and the mOUT in Settings controls the element output percentage. Before mashing in, I let it rip by manually setting 100% power to get to my strike temp, then switch to mash mode.

You can set you step time and temp in the Program settings. I don’t use a RIMS but with a 240v element I’m guessing you’ll want mOUT down in the 30% power range? The EZboil will cruise automatically through the steps, pausing the timer while the temp rises.

Do you have another element in the kettle you can use at the same time? Raising temps of the whole mash at only 30% power might take awhile. You could save time by also using the kettle element.

@Wagon_6 is right. mOUT will do that but the power output max is a global setting that can't be injected into the schedule as a step.

The 320 steps are Either a temp target or a power target but not both. You COULD quickly program the mOUT to a lower power while you're already standing there about to put the grain in, but it is another step.

Keep in mind that the PID algorithm running on this thing is not going to run the element at 100% output for extended periods of time when the temp delta is only a few degrees off. If your temp probe is located in the output of the RIMS tube, the chance of scorching will be vastly reduced compared to putting it in the mash tun.

1690638174721.png

My RIMS temp probe is right next to the element, If I want mash at 152F I run the RIMS at 153F
Notes from my trial brew yesterday.

I gather all brewing water in my HLT and adjust chemistry for the batch. I then heat this water to mash-in.
When I get close to mash in temp, I pump over the quantity to the Mash/RIMS.

So here is what I did.

MASH/RIMS water 160F, I needed 165F
Mout = 100% and water quickly got to 165F
Rims OFF, Pump On, Added Grain and let pump run till clearish

Mout = 50%
Ezboil Hold at 153F
30min later
Rims off, stir mash, clear, Rims back on.

This is where I struggled before, I want to ramp up to mash out.
Mout=50%
Ezboil hold at 172F
This took a long time, but the RIMS temp was only ever 4 degrees higher than mash until it hit 172 and held.
No temp spikes or anything burnt.

I actually forgot to add rice hulls, which typically will give me higher RIMS flow, but still no issues.

I pulled the probe and it looks like new still. There was a small amount of grain scum near the bottom of the element, but not burnt.

I really think, cause of my flow, I can increase Mout to higher than 50% for step mashes.

I really think Mout as a program option would really make this an ideal controller.

@Wagon_6 is right. mOUT will do that but the power output max is a global setting that can't be injected into the schedule as a step.

The 320 steps are Either a temp target or a power target but not both. You COULD quickly program the mOUT to a lower power while you're already standing there about to put the grain in, but it is another step.

Keep in mind that the PID algorithm running on this thing is not going to run the element at 100% output for extended periods of time when the temp delta is only a few degrees off. If your temp probe is located in the output of the RIMS tube, the chance of scorching will be vastly reduced compared to putting it in the mash tun.

View attachment 825922

You probably know this already but controllers don't really control the wattage, they just pulse full power at some portion of a duty cycle.
Mout = 50%
Ezboil Hold at 153F
What I was saying earlier is that even if you had Mout set to 100%, The element would have behaved identically to the way it did above. If wort coming through the RIMS would at worst be a couple degrees below 153F. IF the 320 sees a couple degree difference, it's only going to pulse the element MUCH shorter than a 50% duty cycle.
This is where I struggled before, I want to ramp up to mash out.
Mout=50%
Ezboil hold at 172F
This took a long time, but the RIMS temp was only ever 4 degrees higher than mash until it hit 172 and held.
No temp spikes or anything burnt.
This is the only place an mOUT lower than 100 would make any difference. Note that there's no problem heating the wort warmer through the RIMS in order to more quickly get the bulk of the mash temp up. This happens in almost every brewing system including commercial steam jacketed mash tuns. While I'm running a single vessel BIAB, my element area acts like a RIMS tube so this is still a relevant correlation. If I'm needing to ramp up something like 20F, I'll set a step in my program that is 30F above my current set point (10F higher than my next desired step) and I have it hold that temp for a few minutes. Then the next step is the actual step temp I wanted.
I really think Mout as a program option would really make this an ideal controller.

I think it would be a fun gadget to play with, but adding one more step based parameter would make programming very cumbersome (and it already kind of is). That would be Temp target, Max Power, and Time Increment for each step.

If I understand what you are saying...
My next batch I should leave Mout = 100% and do the step from 153F to 172F And I should not have issues?

If I understand what you are saying...
My next batch I should leave Mout = 100% and do the step from 153F to 172F And I MIGHT not have issues?

I fixed that. During the mash hold phase I think MOUT-100 is totally fine. During the 20F ramp, you can probably get away with 100% but I would watch the element firing light to see how it behaves. I doubt it's going to run full 100% output if the flow rate is reasonable but I make no guarantees.

Just mashed out a 15gal batch of pale ale.
Mout=100%
152 to 172 mashout ran about 10degrees hotter than mash temp.

Used rice hulls, and my new loc-line manifold must restrict my pump some.
I could not feel/detect any compact mash

After I empty mash tun will check condition of element.

There was a slight film of slime on the element. But no burning/scorching.
No idea if it is the new loc-line manifold, or finally able to do a 172F mash-out.
I was better than 65% efficiency that I have been getting for years. Closer to 70% on the last 2 brews with the changes.

2023-08-01 14.13.30.jpg

Attachments

• 2023-08-01 14.14.51.jpg
    2023-08-01 14.14.51.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back