Evil Twin Molotov Cocktail Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MerlinUWard

Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster, and I hope this is valuable to the group. :ban: I had my first Evil Twin Molotov Cocktail a few days ago and I fell in love with it. I scoured the internet for a clone recipe but couldn't find one, so I made one myself. Would love feedback on the composition and how close to the real one you think it will be... :tank:

Recipe
Style: Imperial IPA
Type: All Grain
OG: 1.129
FG: 1.028
ABV: 13.22 %
Color: 11.0 SRM
IBU's: 229.55
Efficiency: 75.00 %
Batch Size: 5.00 Gals
Boil: 90 minutes

Grain
21.00 lbs Briess 2-Row Brewers Malt
1.00 lbs Briess 2-Row Caramel 40L
10.00 ozs Briess Munich 20L
3.00 lbs Candi Sugar, Clear

Hops
1.00 ozs Citra (First Wort)
1.00 ozs Apollo (90 mins)
1.00 ozs Apollo (45 mins)
1.00 ozs Amarillo Gold (30 mins)
1.00 ozs Apollo (10 mins)
1.00 ozs Amarillo Gold (10 mins)
1.00 ozs Citra (5 days)
1.00 ozs Amarillo Gold (5 days)

Yeasts
London Ale III - Wyeast Labs 1318 (Beginner)
Trappist High Gravity - Wyeast Labs 3787 (Finisher)

Mash at 152º for 90 min (or until finished), boil for 90 min. Cool, and oxygenate with 1 minutes of O2, or shaking for 2 minutes. Pitch 2 L starter of London Ale III for first 36-48 hours. Oxygenate again and pitch 2 L starter of Trappist to finish it off.

The reason for the two yeasts is to get a decent English IPA style fermentation, but the 1318 doesn't have a great tolerance for over 8% ABV. The 3787 does, and the characteristics I think will be a nice fit for this beer.

Here's the best review I could find on BeerAdvocate:
Review according to BJCP2008 guidelines (style 14C).
AROMA: very intense hop aroma, with floral, grassy and some resinous notes. Sweetness from malt in the background and some dried grape notes. Alcohol aroma masked by the hops.
APPEARANCE: deep golden amber with orange tint. Medium head retention with ivory color. A bit of haze presente maybe due to un-filtered dry-hopping.
TASTE: strong hop flavour with floral notes and very high bitterness Sweet malty flavour that balances the hop bitterness. Low fruitiness flavors to dried grapes. A very long and lingering bitterness in the aftertaste.
PALATE: smooth medium body with no astringency with moderate carbonation.
OVERALL: a very intense Imperial IPA with complex aromas and balanced. Recommended, but not for everyone."

Did you ever try brewing this recipe? Just had my first molotov cocktail and I want to see if I can make one similar!

Did you ever try brewing this recipe? Just had my first molotov cocktail and I want to see if I can make one similar!

I did not. I did come to learn that Molotov has Simcoe in it. So you'd have to adjust for that!

Cheers!

MUW

Back