Everything Bagel IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill"sDamnBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So the wife went to visit my daughter and her husband in Pittsburgh about a month ago. They had the audacity to go to a new brewery WITHOUT me! They tried an everything bagel IPA from Spoonwood Brewing. Sounds gross, right? My 2 lovely beer snobs loved it and wanted me to try and duplicate it. Umm ok. I made my recipe and decided to put the onion flakes, garlic flakes, pepper, sea salt, sesame seed, and poppy seeds in with 10 minutes left in the boil. It’s only a 1 gallon test batch and it should be ready some time next week. Should be interesting. Anyone else ever try this??
CF421614-7BD0-4620-9ABE-DBA0CE7B0EC6.jpeg

Attachments

• 98C75C57-F053-49D5-A696-D5211039AC6A.jpeg
    98C75C57-F053-49D5-A696-D5211039AC6A.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
.I kegged it on Saturday, cranked up the CO2 and we all tried it on Sunday. It was surprisingly good. A little heavy on the onion so next time half the onion flakes. Yes I said next time. The family loved it with pizza. I still think it’s weird. It should not taste good. Only 1 gallon batches on this one. I think a 5 gallon batch would go to waste.

I hate and love everything about this.

Sounds like it would just tastes like you got a bad lot of hops, but hey some people like that oniony hop taste.

So what would be the recipe you go with next time? Looking for some details here :bigmug:
1 Gallon Batch Bill's Damn Everything Bagel IPA

1 lb Caramel 90ml malt Breiss
1.5 lbs Gold Malt extract syrup
1 oz Ekuanot Hops
small batch American Dry Ale yeast
1 tbs onion flakes
2 tbsp garlic flakes
2 tbs Sesame Seeds
2 tbs sea salt
2 tbs black pepper
2 tbs Poppy Seeds

Use a food processor grind all spices
Steep Grains 10- 15 minutes while heating 1.25 gallons of water
bring to a boil
45 minute total boil
Beginning of the boil
add extract & 3.5 grams Ekuanot Hops
35 minutes in
add all spices and another 3.5 g Eukanot
End of boil
last 7 g Eukanot

That's what I'll do next time. The only difference is 1/2 the onion flakes.
I have to give credit to Spoonwood Brewing in Pittsburgh for the idea!

Back