Ever Seen Or Used This?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim M

Reaction score
Might not be a bad alternative to flaked corn or cereal mashing corn meal in CAP & such, but maybe not. What do you think?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Might not be a bad alternative to flaked corn or cereal mashing corn meal in CAP & such, but maybe not. What do you think?
Hah! Yeah, I've used it quite a bit to make arepas. As far as I know it's just pre-cooked, not nixtamalized or anything. It's super fine though, like sand made out of corn. It's made that way to basically be a kind of corn flour substitute. I don't see why it wouldn't work in a brew but I think it would be more trouble than it's worth.

Check out arepas if you've never made or had them. I'd use it to make something like that first to see how it acts. Honestly. It absorbs a ton of water and get's extremely goopy. I think it would be a real pain to brew with, but I don't have any direct experience to back that up. At worst, you have some delicious arepas in your future. They're simple to make. Check out the differences between Colombian and Venezuelan arepas, too. I'm more partial to the Venezuelan ones but they are pretty different. If you don't like one then try the other. Happy brewing/eating :mug: 😂

I actually made some flat bread things with them in the cast iron skillet and it was great! May not mess with for brewing but thought I would check with the collective.

I started thinking about this again this week after seeing this in the pantry. I have decided to give it a go this weekend and see what happens. I biab so not worried about stuck sparge.

Actually looked this up on wiki and it said Czech master brewer Carlos Roubicek from down south had something to do with its development for brewing and such. I will report back. Webs site says it’s steamed cooked. Sound a lot like found ground flaked maize / corn.

Back