Dry hopping with Willamette?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That will work fine. Willamette is an American version of Fuggles, with a slightly spicy note missing in the noble hop. I've heard some folks claim that they detect a slightly metallic quality to Williamette, but I haven't noticed it. I've dry hopped with it many a time. It is a very mild aroma, so you can afford to be a little heavy handed with it.

The thing to watch, however, is that both Nugget and Amarillo have fairly intense aromas. You probably boiled away most of the aroma of the Nugget, so that won't interfere too much. The Amarillo has an orange, citrusy aroma similar to Cascade, so be sure to get a good whiff of your beer before dry hopping. Make sure the combination of aromas is what you want. I think it will be good.

I've heard some folks claim that they detect a slightly metallic quality to Williamette, but I haven't noticed it.

I haven't noticed it either. I love Williamette, its a great hop. I agree that the flavor profile will change some, but since the Williamette will be more mild, I think it could add some 'depth' to the hop smell. Give it a try!

Back