Dog treats = gas and ......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddibbern5

Reaction score
One positive to my home brewing for SWMBO is spent grain dog treats for our beloved four legged...
However they seem to have adverse affects... The younger dog has awful gas (It actually sounds like he’s yodeling on the couch)
The older girl is a little worse with lets say it’s just the “runs”... [emoji51]

It’s a basic recipe I follow and bake thoroughly until dried.
2C grain
1C flour
1/2C peanut butter
1 egg

I only use fresh grains and try to bake treats same brew day (or refrigerate and do the next day) I regularly give them peanut butter in a kong with no adverse affects....
The dogs love the treats (they did love them more when I was only steeping grains for extract batches [emoji23])

Has anyone experienced similar?
Recipe adjustment recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Nope! Maybe try something like Bob’s Red Mill organic buckwheat flour?

Gluten free ingredients may help.

The grain is likely causing the gas and diarrhea. Dogs can digest grain, they produce amylase, but not in the concentration that humans do.

The grains are a source of fiber. Fiber causes both gas and diarrhea. Fiber draws water into the bowel acting as an osmotic agent causing the diarrhea. Also, fiber is digested by a different microflora than canine diets are designed for, causing the gas.

Haha, fur kids with squeaking tails. :eek:

In another life, I used to have a Black Lab who'd startle himself from a sound sleep when he'd pass wind. Funny as heck. That friendly goofball would let almost anyone walk into the house and not make a sound, but when the doorbell rang, he'd make a ruckus.
Now I have cats. They're stinky in other ways but just as good company. They aren't after my grain because it doesn't smell like fish or meat.

One positive to my home brewing for SWMBO is spent grain dog treats for our beloved four legged...
However they seem to have adverse affects... The younger dog has awful gas (It actually sounds like he’s yodeling on the couch)
The older girl is a little worse with lets say it’s just the “runs”... [emoji51]

It’s a basic recipe I follow and bake thoroughly until dried.
2C grain
1C flour
1/2C peanut butter
1 egg

I only use fresh grains and try to bake treats same brew day (or refrigerate and do the next day) I regularly give them peanut butter in a kong with no adverse affects....
The dogs love the treats (they did love them more when I was only steeping grains for extract batches [emoji23])

Has anyone experienced similar?
Recipe adjustment recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Yupe, used the same recipe for my sons dog until he asked me to stop because it gave the dog the runs.

Back