Dog Raiding Bird Feeder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem seems to be solved.... I he hasn't been back since the second time he got zapped. Basic simple dog training.

I find it interesting that resorting to electric fencing where dogs are concerned is considered by many bleeding heart wimps to be "cruelty", though I don't hear the same thing about using electric fence for cattle, sheep, horses, etc. Shock collars are a very common tool in dog training, as are invisible fences which are a buried wire that sends a signal to a shock collar, not to mention anti bark collars.

I'm looking out my window at the moment and he's digging in a trash can across the street, but he won't even come near my house anymore. The other two dogs who are frequently loose in the neighborhood come over to visit me when they see me outside or on my porch, but never even think about bothering my bird feeder. It's a very selective solution that targets only the problem dog, and nothing else.

H.W.

I don't think electric fences are cruel. Just enough juice to make it unpleasant, but not harmful. If you had used 120/240V mains power, another story entirely...

Glad to hear the dog learned his lesson and has moved on to other things.

9 pages and nobody has suggested to even attempt to talk to the dogs owner?

Billy did :)

and yet you're too chicken s#!t to talk to your neighbor about his country livin' dog. I get it. you're a "no nonsense" kind of guy. we have lots of them out here in rural MN. the ones that won't spay or neuter their cats then drown every litter of kittens because they're a nuisance. you're just doing what's gotta be done, which does not entail having a civil conversation with the neighbor. just shock the dog.

I find it interesting that resorting to electric fencing where dogs are concerned is considered by many bleeding heart wimps to be "cruelty", though I don't hear the same thing about using electric fence for cattle, sheep, horses, etc....

H.W.

I have a problem with using 120 volts in the manner you originally described without considering other, non-lethal options. That's all.

I know I am kinda late to the party and that you seem to have trained the neighbors dog how you want. I am not going to condemn your or anything else, but there are other simpler tricks that could have been tried first aside from talking to the dogs owner. Old car floor mat or carpet protectors(upside down) where the dog stands is one way. The pointy grip part should be just uncomfortable enough to dissuade the dog.

One argument I have is the difference between dog shock collars and electric fences and your comment about the following

I find it interesting that resorting to electric fencing where dogs are concerned is considered by many bleeding heart wimps to be "cruelty", though I don't hear the same thing about using electric fence for cattle, sheep, horses, etc. Shock collars are a very common tool in dog training, as are invisible fences which are a buried wire that sends a signal to a shock collar, not to mention anti bark collars.

Have you ever shocked yourself on both types of shock sources? Dog shock collars are designed for dogs. Most of them are very slow frequency shocks that are more to surprise than to hurt. Electric Fences (not designed for pairing with the collars for dogs) are a whole different monster. Cows and horses and other large livestock are the targets of electric fencing which are calibrated for animals much larger than a dog (which few get to or above 100 lbs). The type of shock hurts a crapload more.

My final comments are pointed at the fact that this is not your dog. There are/can be legal ramifications to behavior such as this. Firstly since it is not your animal, your rights on punishing it are nil unless it outright attacks you. If the dog is just being a nuisance, your legal rights most likely (I do not live in your town) are only to call animal control or the police and file formal complaints with your neighbors letting their dog run free into your yard.

Other issues come from the fact that you have dog food in the bowl. If it were bird seed, you may have an argument, but anyone who does not know your intentions could easily be expected to conclude from seeing your setup in action that your whole goal is to shock the dog to get your jollies.

TL : DR
Be careful what you do to your neighbors animals. Many people feel as strongly about their pets as if they were their actual children and for moral (and most likely legal) reasons you should manage a nuisance animal like you would a nuisance neighborhood child. It may be more difficult at the onset, but in the long run can save you quite a bit of money, liability and hassle.

PS - I am not a police officer, lawyer and all of these statements are solely my opinion and are intended to be constructive rather than attacking. Frankly, I am kind of surprised this thread has not gotten a lock yet.

(snip)
My final comments are pointed at the fact that this is not your dog. There are/can be legal ramifications to behavior such as this. Firstly since it is not your animal, your rights on punishing it are nil unless it outright attacks you. If the dog is just being a nuisance, your legal rights most likely (I do not live in your town) are only to call animal control or the police and file formal complaints with your neighbors letting their dog run free into your yard.

(snip)

Just wanted to point out that the OP doesn't live in an urban area. He lives in a VERY rural area, from what he's said, where, presumably, the population density is such that there is no "animal control" officer per se. There are still a lot of areas like that -- back in the wilds of the western USA, and in some parts of Canada.

Not trying to pick a fight one way or the other, just pointing out something you appear to have missed.

Just wanted to point out that the OP doesn't live in an urban area. He lives in a VERY rural area, from what he's said, where, presumably, the population density is such that there is no "animal control" officer per se. There are still a lot of areas like that -- back in the wilds of the western USA, and in some parts of Canada.

Not trying to pick a fight one way or the other, just pointing out something you appear to have missed.

granted.

All dogs stand to pee.
Reminds me of the joke, "What does a man do standing up, a woman do sitting down, and a dog do with one leg raised? Shake hands."
:fro:

And "All mammals that weigh more than about six-and-a-half pounds take about the same time to urinate, thanks to the structure of the urethra."

Ya know...just seemed appropriate at the time, or maybe not, but just in case: :off:

Edit: about 20 seconds.

I have a problem with choke collars, prong collars, shock collars, salt shot, cattle prongs, electric fences, and other devices of negative reinforcement. I'm not a bleeding heart liberal. I believe most people deserve more beatings than they ever receive. you believe an animal is doing something you don't like then it's ok for you to inflict pain on them. I feel the same way about humans. Mark Twain said that if you wanted to see the dregs of society, go down to your local jail and watch the changing of the guards. I say we need to go no farther than our own mirrors.

Back