German Helles Exportbier dOATmunder Export Oat Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philrose

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
34/70
Yeast Starter
2 packs, hydrated per instructions
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
4.2 Deg L
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 50 deg F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Keg Lagered for 28 days at 38
Tasting Notes
Strikes an interesting balance between full bodied and crisp mouthfeel.
This beer was made for Oktoberfest 2016 in lovely NoDa, Charlotte, NC. It's a minor twist on the export lager style using oats for flavor stability, which worked like a charm. The first bit of beer from gravity sampling was remarkably similar to the last liter poured of the night! Lesson Learned: don't be afraid of small amounts of oats in lager beers. They are a truly versatile ingredient.

The beer is a hit among craft beer drinkers and newbies alike. Very, very clean flavor and crystal clear from lagering in the keg despite the oats.

Mash
single infusion at 151 degrees f for 45 minutes
  • 15 Lbs Weyermann Pils
  • 3 lbs Munich, 10 degrees lov
  • 2 lbs flaked oats

Boil
90 minutes, 13.25 gal at 1.039-1.041 pre boil OG
  • .8 oz Azacca, 14.2% AA, 60 min
  • 1 oz Sonnet Golding, 4.2% AA, 10 minutes
  • 1.5 oz Sonnet golding at flameout
Aim for 23 IBU in your 60 minute addition, I used Azacca as I had run out of magnum. There was no detectable American hop character in the final beer. The sonnets exist for a touch of earth and flower, but the beer is certainly not hop-forward. Of course, you could use noble hops, but I would stay away from saaz if possible to avoid confusion with Czech Pils. Delicate American hops are also welcome like mt hood or crystal.

Adjust water for soft, pale and malty profile. I used brewer's friend.

Carbonated to 2.25 volumes

Latest posts

Back