Do you have a fridge with a window? What did you block it off with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psychlopath

Reaction score
I found myself with a commercial display fridge that I've been using with just foil up on the inside of the display door, so I could keep the light controlled inside. That worked great for a while, but I started noticing that when I wasn't using it, mildew would collect where the foil physically contacts the glass.

There are all kinds of options, like using wall panel or thin sheets of ply wood stuck with adhesive, simply removing the foil and re-installing every time (PITA...and wasteful) and a ton of stuff I'm sure I've not thought of, but I'm fairly certain someone here has something clever that I'm not thinking of.

Ideally, it'd not be super ugly, would go inside the unit so I have a good place to stick my old labels and would be easily removable without damage...and of course keep all the sunlight out of the fermenters or bottles inside.

The fridge is kept outside, if that matters, and bringing it inside is not an option without removing a wall from the house.

Thanks in advance!

I found myself with a commercial display fridge that I've been using with just foil up on the inside of the display door, so I could keep the light controlled inside. That worked great for a while, but I started noticing that when I wasn't using it, mildew would collect where the foil physically contacts the glass.

There are all kinds of options, like using wall panel or thin sheets of ply wood stuck with adhesive, simply removing the foil and re-installing every time (PITA...and wasteful) and a ton of stuff I'm sure I've not thought of, but I'm fairly certain someone here has something clever that I'm not thinking of.

Ideally, it'd not be super ugly, would go inside the unit so I have a good place to stick my old labels and would be easily removable without damage...and of course keep all the sunlight out of the fermenters or bottles inside.

The fridge is kept outside, if that matters, and bringing it inside is not an option without removing a wall from the house.

Thanks in advance!
The first thing that comes to mind is paint, on the inside of the glass. You could make it as simple or fancy as you like. When you are done with it, scrape it off with a razor blade.

I have some polyurethane paint left over from painting an outbuilding, but I didn't think that would really block light, but not much to lose from trying it out.

Bigger the glob, the better the job, I bet.

I have some polyurethane paint left over from painting an outbuilding, but I didn't think that would really block light, but not much to lose from trying it out.

Bigger the glob, the better the job, I bet.
You could put on any color you like, then cover it with a heavy dark coat to block light.

Not too sure what you're concerned about unless you have a bazillion grow lights, indoor ambient light from regular household lighting isn't an issue. Get rid of the foil, you don't need it.

What about plasti-dip ? Its pretty tough stuff, and you can peel it off if you don't like it....

.. a commercial display fridge ...keep the light controlled inside....mildew ... not be super ugly...inside the unit ... place to stick my old labels .... easily removable without damage...and of course keep all the sunlight out .... fridge is kept outside...

A sign shop should be able to sell you a sheet of Sintra (and possibly cut it to the size you need). It is an expanded (foamed core) PVC product.

You can get it in different thicknesses, and a wide range of colors. It's very lightweight, relatively inexpensive, easy to cut, it's waterproof, and stickers and other graphics will adhere to it. To make it easily removable, mount it with some adhesive backed velcro.

Sintra is a brand name, there are other manufacturers and names, but your local sign shop will know what you mean when you say Sintra. Any of the brands will work.

If your sign shop won't cut it for you, just use regular woodworking tools to cut it.

Not too sure what you're concerned about...

The fridge sits outside. It doesn't get direct sun, but enough that I'd prefer to keep it off of bottles, and carboys.

A sign shop should be able to sell you a sheet of Sintra..

Sounds, perfect. Now that you mention it, that sounds like the stiff foam insulation I've used. There's a sign and wrap shop right down the road.

The window tint may work too, but I wonder if vinyl wrap would work or not...I'll be calling that place later!

Hang a curtain on the outside. Why not just block the window from the outside?

Back