Do I need to chill my fermentor (ale) even though it's 67 F (19 C) inside?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torrefaction

Reaction score
Hi!
Newb here. I'm about to brew my first fall batch of brew (an IPA) since our scorching hot Montreal summer, when I obviously had to put my fermentor(s) in a swamp cooler (giant rubbermaid container full of water, with waterline halfway up the carboy) with ice packs to keep temps within an acceptable range. Now it's mid-autumn, and we keep our place between 66-68 F (18-19 C), the optimal ferm temp for my recipe. I've heard it gets hotter inside the fermentor during active fermentation; should I still put my carboy in a water basin to help bring its temp down during active fermentation (first 48 hrs)? Please don't say "get a chest freezer" or "install a dedicated AC unit"--I'm stuck with a ghetto setup for now, and I'm brewing on Thursday. My options are swamp or no swamp: do I need to bother?
Thanks!! :)

You are describing a swamp cooler and I suggest you go that route. I have read multiple sources that say that internal fermentation temp can be up to 10 degrees more than ambient temp. If you can get your swamp cooler down to 60-ish degrees I think you wil be happier with the results.

It will be around 5 deg warmer inside the fermenter during active fermentation giving you the high end ferm temp of the yeast most likely(not knowing your yeast) 62 ambient temp would be better.put fermenter on the floor in the coldest part of your house

I'd swamp it. Take advantage of the thermal properties of water to keep your fermenting beer at a more stable temperature - presuming that your water bath is indeed withing the target temp range.

I'm no expert bit this is what I have been doing in the fall and spring. Winter when my basement is cold I wrap my fermenters in old coats and select yeast that can ferment cooler.

Put it in the swamp cooler. No need to cool the water. The thermal properties of the water will keep fermentation temps within a degree or two of the water temp ........ right around perfect.

I use mine every batch. I never cool, but my basement temp never gets above 70 even in mid summer. It keeps temp stable and eliminates temp issues. I do heat it for Belgians and Brett.

Back