Do I have enough power?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgmac

It's Brew Day!
Reaction score
Buying a new house and completed the home inspection today. Need some advice on upgrading the electrical service to add electric brewing. The service panel is tiny and completely full. The main breaker is 150 amps and the legs coming in from the meter look like 1/0 (no markings). I wish I would have snapped a few pictures. Using an online calculator, it looks like the house currently has a max load of 107 amps. I already plan on having an electrician come in and install a larger service panel so there will be more room to expand.
I plan on adding a 30 amp 240 circuit from brewing and a 50 amp 240 circuit for a full size hot tub. Calculating the actual load for the brew kettle and hot tub, it will add about 63 amps. So the new total will be around 171 amps (numbers below).

I think I need to upgrade to 200 amp service and increase the main legs to 2/0 and go with a 200 amp breaker. I don't know what size wires are coming from the street to the meter. Wondering of the power company would have to run new underground lines. At least that part would be free, but the rest is all getting pricey. Is there any way based on the numbers I could get away with what appears to be 150 amp service to the house? If I do have to upgrade, then I am thinking go all in to 300 or more amp service. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

3 watts per sqft for light, TVs Computers etc... 6,450 watts

Item Watt
  • Disposal 1,680
  • Microwave 1,500
  • Frig #1 1,200
  • Frig #2 1,200
  • Range/Oven 14,680
  • Dryer 5,000
  • Washer 1,200
  • Water Heater Gas 500
  • Pool Pump 2400
  • Salt Chlorinator 1920
  • 4 ton A/C? 4684
  • Gas Furnace 500
Total Watts = 25,696 Amps = 107.06

Adding

Brewing Kettle 5500
Hot Tub 9600

Total Watts= 15,100 Amps = 62.91

New Total= 40,796 Amps = 170.82

Oh wait, everything is based from 240 volt load. Have to go back and do more math.

One additional thing to consider. Your 50A tub circuit may be spilt between flow (occasional draw) and heat (more regular draw). That factored with the likelihood that you'll simultaneously be brewing from the tub and you may be able to get by with the existing feed to the house. Of course, if you are brewing from the tub, we'd all be curious to see that setup.

IMG_7108.jpg

One additional thing to consider. Your 50A tub circuit may be spilt between flow (occasional draw) and heat (more regular draw). That factored with the likelihood that you'll simultaneously be brewing from the tub and you may be able to get by with the existing feed to the house. Of course, if you are brewing from the tub, we'd all be curious to see that setup.

View attachment 699031
I did pull my gas grill up to an above ground pool I had and cooked dinner while soaking in the pool. Thanks for the info. I just confirmed that the line from the street to the meter is 200 amp, so I am upgrading to 2/0 legs coming into the panel and installing a 200 amp panel with extra room to grow in case I upgrade from 10 gallon batches to 20 gallon batches. Should be a good day long install. I forgot that one of my old work friends is a certified electrician and just got off the phone with him. He is going to head up the project and verified my load requirements.

Thanks

Back