DIY fruit/cider press opinions wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indygunworks

Reaction score
I believe I attached the image correctly, but I am in the planning phase of making my own press. The picture shows a trailer jack being used as the ram. I don't want to use hydraulic, as I like the idea of spinning something on top, but don't really want to go with the normal shaft design where your leverage goes up and down. Here is the jack I have ordered.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005CC3NDC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

My question is about the basket. I have seen a lot of 5 gallon buckets being used, but they have a slight taper which I don't think is very condusive to complete extraction. I am wondering what other material is out there for the press barrels other than custom making one out of wood staves?

I was thinking about milk crates, but don't know how much stronger than a 5 gallon bucket. The pros here though are that I don't have to drill holes, and they are a standard size so whenever I get a grinding station set up it will be really easy to get a system going. Think these will work?

finishedpress.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the wooden slat and steel basket common to the store bought presses. I've considered making a 2 nd out of buckets. And since I grind into a cheesecloth anyhow I see no problem with the taper of the bucket as the cloth doesn't like to flow past the 3/4 inch plywood pressing discs I layer in there.

I built mine with a 5 gal bucket and a bottle jack. But recently saw on the whizzbang cider website where he used hdpe and low profile stainless steel screws to make a pressing tube.

20170910_184923.jpg

5 gallon buckets works great for me (and cheap) but do a rack/cloth setup inside it for best results.

I built my press after the whizbang but used a different jack. Jack is a telescoping ram (double ram) so no stopping to add blocks.

I didnt want the spinning type jackscrew, too much work lol.

With the hyd jack i can add pressure and get back to grinding then add pressure and back to grinding. Almost able to do both at once until i have to swap the pomice out.

apple factory.jpg

Latest posts

Back