Discolored tap lines....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GANGGREEN

Reaction score
So I used to brew a bit years ago. Never got very experienced at it and while taking a break from it a friend asked to borrow my corny keg system, which I gladly lent to him. He gave it back to me and I simply put the stuff away without really inspecting it. Well, I'm starting to brew again and pulled this stuff out to see if it was still acceptable to find that he had left some beer in one of the kegs and that both tap lines were absolutely filthy.

I've attached the CO2 and run super hot water through the system and through the lines, which cleaned them up a bit, but the tubing is still somewhat discolored in spots. So, do I assume that there's some cleansing solution that will clean them up....OR....do I assume that after sanitizing they'll be fine even if discolored.....OR do I simply replace the two lines?

If the best solution is just pitching these and purchasing new, what size do I need? These are 3/16", 7/16" OD, 5 feet long. As I recall, they worked acceptably, though I sometimes got too much head when drawing a beer off and I never really figured out how to adjust the CO2 to eliminate that issue. Should I replace with the same size line or with a 10-12' line as I often see suggested here?

Any help is certainly appreciated, as I said, I'm not very experienced but wanting to get back into the hobby with my now legal sons. :ban:

I should mention that I also have 2 new AIH 2.5 gallon kegs on the way today, so I'll actually have 3 or 4 kegs to work with (though the two smaller ones will likely be enough).

There are various caustic solutions available (eg: Five Star BLC and LLC) that can clean up grungy lines.
But they aren't inexpensive and without seeing your lines it's hard to state with assurance they would leave the lines in near-pristine condition...

Cheers!

Replace. I replace my lines 1x a year, I bought 100' of beer line when I built my 2-tap set up, I'm set for a while.

I agree with 12'. It works for "normal" beers, but also works when you brew something like a Saison that needs more carbonation.

http://www.mikesoltys.com/2012/09/17/determining-proper-hose-length-for-your-kegerator/

That is a good link for beer line length calculations :)

Clean the kegs good, as well, and I would suggest replacing all keg seals, its easy, and cheap insurance.

Cheers!

If the best solution is just pitching these and purchasing new, what size do I need? These are 3/16", 7/16" OD, 5 feet long. As I recall, they worked acceptably, though I sometimes got too much head when drawing a beer off and I never really figured out how to adjust the CO2 to eliminate that issue. Should I replace with the same size line or with a 10-12' line as I often see suggested here?

Upgrade to flow control faucets, line length issues solved. :mug:

If you do end up wanting to clean them, I can vouch for BeerLineCleaner http://www.northernbrewer.com/beer-line-cleaner

I had some older lines that were basically brown, running blc with a pond pump for 30 minutes had them back to clear again. It also seems to work great at cleaning the 'plastic' flavor out of the cheap vinyl tubing, if you go that route.

That said, replacing the lines is never a bad idea.

Upgrade to flow control faucets, line length issues solved. :mug:

Which lines do you have? I'm in the process of putting together my keezer. I have two Intertap Flow control faucets and using 3/16" Bev Seal Ultra. No where can i find line length for these. At best it's a guesstimate. How does the flow controls effect line length? I have 50' of Bev Seal Ultra and I was going to go with 16.5' and work down. Most posts I've seen says approx 1.5 x regular vinyl tubing and to use .2000 as the diameter on Mikes calculator.

I use this stuff:
Ultra Barrier Silver™ Antimicrobial and PVC Free Beer Tubing

Just have 6 ft., serve at 10 psi. With the flow control faucets, you can adjust the resistance. Without flow control, your line is the only resistance. I've never had a foam issue.

This is some info listed for the line:

Sold by the foot. 3/16" is the best size for most beer lines under 9' in length. Ideally, 6' provides the correct restriction for serving beer in the 8-14 psi range.

Technical Specifications: 3/16" line provides 2.2 lbs of restriction per foot. Ideally pounds of resistance should equal pounds of applied pressure. 3/16" line holds 1/6 of an ounce per foot. PVC Free. 7/16" OD

Latest posts

Back