Did I hurt my hops rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zam216

Reaction score
This is my first year trying to plant rhizomes and I live in suburban Philadelphia. About 3 weeks ago we had a warm spell of a couple days in the mid to high 50s and I got to excited to plant my new rhizomes and I planted them right away in my 22.5 inch diameter whiskey barrels. I planted a cascade rhizome that had very little roots or sprout growth showing it almost looked like a stick but It did have white buds which I planted up. I also planted a centennial which was a monster that had 2 sprouts about an inch and a half long and root growth. After planting them we then got a taste of winter again with days in the 40-50s and some nights around 32. Any time the temp dropped close to 32 I covered with burlap blankets and if it dropped really low or snowed I pulled them inside. Last weekend I wanted to see if there was any growth or root development in them and the cascade had some sprout growth which I accidentally broke off and the centennials sprouts were a little longer but they were side ways so I stood them up and they broke the soil. They have not grown anymore since I pulled them out of the soil. My question is did I ruin the rhizomes by planting too early? If I did I would like to know ASAP so I can reorder before there is none left.

You should be ok if they did not feel "soft" I have the same weather over here but up around 800' in elevation.

Back