Did I do something wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lacasse93

Reaction score
So this may be a bit early to panic but being a first time hop grower I am anxious. I received some hop cuttings in the mail the other day and planted them in some old raised beds that I cleaned out a bit and added some new soil, compost, fertilizer, and blood meal. The soil seems to have decent drainage with excess water disappearing fairly quickly after it pools on top of the dirt. I made mounds and planted the hops roughly 5 feet from one another.

Now I planted them two days ago and they already had some leaves. I planted them roughly 2 inches deep and had the leaves coming up out of the soil. Some were long enough that I started to train it around a thin wooden post. I also planted them sideways laying down. By this I mean out of the ones I got, many were growing leaves on either end of the cutting so I did my best to plant the stem in the dirt while having the leaves above the dirt.

When I just went to water them, it looks like most the leaves were all dried out and wrinkled as well as some of the plant that I was training up the poles. When I got them in the mail they were very hydrated and wrapped in a moist cloth. Did I do something to kill these leaves? Is this normal and just getting acclimated to the new soil before growing new shoots? The soil looks hydrated but not soggy so I am pretty sure I didnt drown them. Any advice would help, thanks.

not a rhizome. It is a piece of a mature plant with a few nodes on it. some of those nodes have sprouted leaves

Sounds like transplant shock, just a guess as without a picture it could be any number of issues. If it is transplant shock you'll see things picking up in a week or two. After the existing leaves die off there will be some buds coming into action at the base of the petiole (the little stalk at the base of the leaf where it was attached to the main shoot) and they will grow into new shoots that you can train and will produce hops for you. Being that the plant isn't actively growing, it doesn't need a whole lot of water, just enough to keep from going bone dry so don't water but maybe once a week. Be patient, it's the hardest thing.

Back