Deep gold Belgian ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giuzep89

Reaction score
I consider myself a simple person. Even though I thoroughly enjoy complex beers, I would rather brew something simple but still rich, spicy and complex. I just don't enjoy making complicated recipes with 100 different malts, 30 hops, and a 60 steps mash. Ok so long story short: I'd love to brew a deep golden Belgian ale, I already have a yeast i like (Mangrove Jack's Abbey), and I'm happy with Saaz, but I'm not sure about the grain bill. I assume pils would be a good base, with a touch of a roasted malt for color, or would you just go full Vienna? Thanks!

I'm with you on enjoying complexity from a yeast driven beer. Belgians are some of my favourites (I'm drinking a 2.5 year old golden strong at the moment). 5.5% ABV is in Belgian pale ale range (not that they really label beer styles). Mangrove Jacks Abbey is a good yeast, but if you really want to get into Belgo's try some of the liquid offerings - WY3522 is my favourite, but the best thing about them is they are all quite different. Saaz, of course, will work really nicely. I wouldn't use roasted malt (it just doesn't seem right to me in Belgian beers, but use it if that's the flavour you want then get some in there - that's what Belgian brewing is all about). Colour would normally come from either crystal malts or dark candy syrups/sugar. A simple pale ale using pils malt and some homemade candy syrup (20 lb of sugar and a jar of yeast nutrient) along with saaz (maybe something with higher AA, like Perle, for bittering) and Mangrove Jacks Abbey would be a good start to Belgo brewing!

Thanks man. That really lines up with my plan. What caramel malt would you recommend, and in which percentage? Just to give a touch of color to the beer and a little extra sweetness. And which percentage of sugar?

I wouldn't use Caramel/Crystal malts, as they can tend to muddle up yeast driven flavours and hops driven aromas. So it's best to avoid these when possible.

To add colour and a more assertive malt presence, you could try adding some Vienna malt or Munich ( light ). The blank malt canvas will allow the yeast profile to shine. But if you really want some Crystal malt in there, go for something Belgian like Aromatic, CaraBelge og any other Cara malt from Dingemans.

As for sugar: 3-8% is a good range, depending on your grain bill and expected ABV %.

That makes sense. So what about 60% Pils, 35% Vienna, 5% sugar, Saaz (22-25 IBU target)? Does it sound reasonable?

I'd personally avoid sugar (unless it's a flavoursome syrup) in a 5.5% Belgian. All pils if you want it pale, up to 5% crystal/cara (caravienne or caramunich are suitable, but really dark ones like special b can be interesting in small amounts) if you want colour (or replace with candy syrup). IBU in the mid 20's.

My Belgian blondes are pils malt and dextrose. Not a lot, maybe 10%, and most are around 4% alcohol. The yeast brings the flavour, I like white labs abbey ale or wy Ardennes. My saisons have no sugar but a long low temp mash, and saison yeast, either 3724, or 3726.

Latest posts

Back