Deep frying turkeys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is safe advice. I have more that might not be readily apparent to the newer, fryers of turkeys. After reading below, it's also turned into a "How To".
I have a whole lot of deep-fried turkey experience. I have a restaurant background which is how I got started on the turkey frying.
I know way more about cooking turkeys than I do beer! Below will safely get you a perfectly done turkey.

Stick with 12-14 pounders.
Make sure the pot is of an appropriate size which means the bigger the better (10 gallon is ideal).
Do a dry run (which, ironically, is very wet)--place turkey on the stand in an empty pot and fill with water, enough to cover the bird by an inch or two. Take the bird out and shake off excess water and mark the pot. This gives you your proper oil level. Edit: Dry pot thoroughly before adding oil. Use appropriate oil that has a high flashpoint.
Dry the bird thoroughly and need I also say it should be "thawed"? Room temperature for the turkey is best if you can swing it.
A long thermometer that is calibrated is vital. Clipped to the side is ideal. Keep an eye on it throughout.
Never leave the turkey and fryer unattended.
Heat peanut oil to 375 F. The idea is that the turkey will reduce the temp to proper cooking range.
Wearing the appropriate clothing, and with safe footing, lower the turkey SLOWLY into the oil. This can take upwards of five minutes, depending on how well your bird is dried.
As recommended, turn off the flame. I don't but I also don't have the worry of boil over.
Once it's in the oil on the stand, practice hooking it a few times with the hangar that comes with the stand.
My turkey stand is very light so my turkey floats when it's done (about 35 minutes).

Don't cook your bird beneath anything flammable.
Have a plan in case of fire beforehand.
Don't consume alcohol while cooking a turkey in a deep fryer.

Last edited:
That is safe advice. I have more that might not be readily apparent to the newer, fryers of turkeys. After reading below, it's also turned into a "How To".
I have a whole lot of deep-fried turkey experience. I have a restaurant background which is how I got started on the turkey frying.
I know way more about cooking turkeys than I do beer! Below will safely get you a perfectly done turkey.

Stick with 12-14 pounders.
Make sure the pot is of an appropriate size which means the bigger the better (10 gallon is ideal).
Do a dry run (which, ironically, is very wet)--place turkey on the stand in an empty pot and fill with water, enough to cover the bird by an inch or two. Take the bird out and shake off excess water and mark the pot. This gives you your proper oil level. Use appropriate oil that has a high flashpoint.
Dry the bird thoroughly and need I also say it should be "thawed"? Room temperature for the turkey is best if you can swing it.
A long thermometer that is calibrated is vital. Clipped to the side is ideal. Keep an eye on it throughout.
Never leave the turkey and fryer unattended.
Heat peanut oil to 375 F. The idea is that the turkey will reduce the temp to proper cooking range.
Wearing the appropriate clothing, and with safe footing, lower the turkey SLOWLY into the oil. This can take upwards of five minutes, depending on how well your bird is dried.
As recommended, turn off the flame. I don't but I also don't have the worry of boil over.
Once it's in the oil on the stand, practice hooking it a few times with the hangar that comes with the stand.
My turkey stand is very light so my turkey floats when it's done (about 35 minutes).

Don't cook your bird beneath anything flammable.
Have a plan in case of fire beforehand.
Don't consume alcohol while cooking a turkey in a deep fryer.
Thank you. I know how to not burn myself up, I sure didn't know the rest of this!

I didn't want to butt in. Glad it was useful and you're welcome!
I really do enjoy and get VERY excited this time of year at the prospect of cooking turkeys for Thanksgiving and Christmas (sometimes for a total of four-six).
Chickens work just as well with this method.

Just a reminder if you are going to deep fry a turkey on a gas burner:

TURN OFF THE FLAME before you lower the turkey into the hot oil!

Then relight the burner when the foaming oil settles down.

Stay safe and have a great Thanksgiving!
Or over insure everything get your pets and family out and enjoy the insurance companies money funding your new home with a sweet new brewing rig :ban:

Back