DC area-Craft Beer Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeamAshBrewing

Reaction score
Hello,

I am travelling to the east coast this weekend for a conference, Silver Springs Maryland specifically.
I am looking for some good craft beer that I cannot get in Minnesota. I have browsed www.seekabrew.com, but I can't buy everything on that list:(
I enjoy pale ales, IPA, mild ales, ESB's, porters, etc in bottle or can form.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

For beers to seek out I would grab some:

- Double Duckpin (Imperial IPA from Union Craft Brewing in Baltimore)
- On The Wings Of Armageddon (Imperial IPA from DC Brau - I think it is only available at the brewery)

I am sure there are more that are worth jumping on but I am at a loss right now.

If you are looking for other info about places to grab a pint:

Denizens is a small brewery with a great beer garden during the warmer months. They used to have a BBQ food truck around but I think they have moved toward serving their own food.

Quarry House Tavern is a fantastic low key bar that usually has a great selection of local and nation wide crafts along with a vast whiskey selection. Monday is half price burger night which is always busy but well worth it.

DC Brau, 3 Stars (They deserve a shout out for supporting the DC area group buy so giving them patronage is well worth it!), Hellbender, and Right Proper are all a short metro ride or drive from Silver Spring and all have great beers worth checking out.

Enjoy your trip and the offerings we have here in MD/DC!

Jailbreak is a good local brewery just up the road from Silver Spring. Monument brewing is good, too. I particularly like their Rye 51.

You bring me out a few tallboys of Surly and I'll do your digging for you and bring you an equal volume of good local brews. For serious. I'm a born and raised Minnesotan (Sleepy Eye) and haven't had Surly in too long.
PM me if you're interested.

Heavy seas is pretty good. Do claw has some interesting ingredients.

Thank you all for the recommendations. EtchyLives, I hope to meet up with you to exchange. I too would miss Surly Furious.

Are you in silver spring for the vz work stoppage?

Last edited:
Port City Brewing has a delicious selection, and Fairwinds Brewing if you get a chance to come down Virginia-way. Are you looking to drink on site, or take home with you?

Are you actually going into DC? I would definitely recommend checking out Bluejacket. I've been to a lot of breweries but these guys blew me away with their wide variety of unique barrel aged beers

Thanks for all of your replies. I am travelling with kids and a non-beer drinking wife, so a tap room/brewery is out. I am looking to either take home, and/or something that's available in a restaurant. We are planning on spending one day in DC for some tourist type stuff, and probably lunch. We don't have anything planned on where or when yet.

Thanks for all of your replies. I am travelling with kids and a non-beer drinking wife, so a tap room/brewery is out. I am looking to either take home, and/or something that's available in a restaurant. We are planning on spending one day in DC for some tourist type stuff, and probably lunch. We don't have anything planned on where or when yet.

When you spend that day in DC get lunch at Pizzeria Paradiso on DuPont Circle. http://www.eatyourpizza.com/ The food is wonderful and the beer selection is pretty impressive as well.

Back