Dank and Juicy Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filthyastronaut

Reaction score
I haven't posted any recipes for people to critique or offer suggestions recently, so I thought I would for my next brew.

Title: Rye's Rye IPA

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.048
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.058
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV (standard): 6.15%
IBU (tinseth): 48.54
SRM (morey): 6.47

FERMENTABLES:
6.5 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (61.9%)
2.5 lb - American - Rye (23.8%)
1 lb - Flaked Wheat (9.5%)
0.5 lb - Amber Crystal Malt (4.8%)

HOPS:
2 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 16.2, Use: Whirlpool for 45 min at 212 °F, IBU: 48.54
4 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 16.2, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 170 °F
1 oz - HBC 438, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.4, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 170 °F
2 oz - Summit, Type: Pellet, AA: 18.5, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 170 °F
2 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 16.2, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days
2 oz - HBC 438, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.4, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 148 F

YEAST:
The Yeast Bay - Vermont Ale
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 78.5%
Flocculation: Med/Low
Optimum Temp: 64 - 72 F
Fermentation Temp: 70 F

The Amber Crystal is homemade, and the lovibond is an estimate. The result was a little like Victory, and I'm not too concerned about a touch of malty biscuit underneath all of the hops.

Obviously Columbus dominates to really give it a nice dank quality, the Summit is there because I honestly just want something to throw it in where it's vastly outnumbered, in case the garlic fairy wants to pay me a visit, and if it behaves it will play really nice here. HBC 438 to widen the fruit profile.

So if anybody cares to weigh in, please do!

I'm all about late hop additions but you have ALL late hop additions. That's aggressive. I'd maybe at least do a small FWH to help round the bitterness.

Also, with that grain and hop profile I'd look to use White Labs SD Super Yeast. Vermont Ale I don't think would blend well with that and I'm a big Vermont Ale yeast guy.

I'm all about late hop additions but you have ALL late hop additions. That's aggressive. I'd maybe at least do a small FWH to help round the bitterness.

Also, with that grain and hop profile I'd look to use White Labs SD Super Yeast. Vermont Ale I don't think would blend well with that and I'm a big Vermont Ale yeast guy.

I'm honestly not too concerned about IBUs. I am conflicted on moving an ounce of Columbus up to increase them though. All late additions is nothing new for me either, but I would typically start my additions at 15 minutes or 5 minutes, not do a 100 percent whirlpool. I figure with 13 oz. of potent hops at my disposal, why not just get my IBUs from the whirlpool? As I understand it, the only thing I have to lose is flavor stability, but an early boil or FWH wouldn't do all that much to stop that. Are there any other concerns that would stem from pure hopstands?

As for Vermont yeast, I picked it up because I reuse my yeast at least 3 times before I stop. I intend to use it for 4 batches that I had in mind before I bought it. What about it do you think will clash with the recipe? HBC 438 is supposed to have a lot of stone fruit characteristics which I thought would jive well with the peach esters, and Heady itself uses a fair amount of Columbus, though not nearly as dominated as this recipe.

only one way to know, right? I still think I'd at least maybe dump the battering hops at say 1 minute. Something about letting them get at least a touch of exposure to 212 deg. for a small period of time. I like your IBU's where they're at though, I try and keep mine, depending on style of IPA, around 40-50. NE Style I stay 30-35. Perhaps just the 2oz Columbus at 1 minute to match the IBU's wanted and dump the remaining amount of Columbus in with the dry hop addition or the whirlpool if your dry hop additions are per packaged.

As far as the yeast - I think you'll probably be fine. I was thinking some more clean with the Rye addition as well as with a heavier Columbus and Summit addition.

only one way to know, right? I still think I'd at least maybe dump the battering hops at say 1 minute. Something about letting them get at least a touch of exposure to 212 deg. for a small period of time. I like your IBU's where they're at though, I try and keep mine, depending on style of IPA, around 40-50. NE Style I stay 30-35. Perhaps just the 2oz Columbus at 1 minute to match the IBU's wanted and dump the remaining amount of Columbus in with the dry hop addition or the whirlpool if your dry hop additions are per packaged.

As far as the yeast - I think you'll probably be fine. I was thinking some more clean with the Rye addition as well as with a heavier Columbus and Summit addition.

The temperature, in my experience, goes down to around 180 degrees 15 min. after flameout on my system. So it will still be above isomerization at 175. I think I'll just roll with it. Even if the IBUs end up around 20, if the beer is saturated with hop flavor and aroma I'll be pretty happy. I think it'll work though. For all I know, it will be more bitter than I'm expecting.

I'm brewing this today and I just opened my hops to weigh out my additions . . . holy ****. The Columbus is insanely dank onion/garlic in the aroma. Hopefully boiling and pairing helps it. The summit smelled pretty strong of citrus, and actually had no hint of the onion/garlic its known for. HBC 438 was really unique, smelled like pine and peaches, wish I had more of it going into the recipe with how pungent the Columbus ended up being.

Regardless, the brew must go on.

The Columbus will tame itself during the boil, the dry hop, not so much but you should be OK.

The Columbus will tame itself during the boil, the dry hop, not so much but you should be OK.

I mixed my second hopstand into a single bowl and the onion and garlic faded into the background. If that's what I can expect when it's mixed with the HBC 438 in the dry hop, I'm not too worried anymore.

Krausen dropped today, airlock smells amazing, but this is the most turbid beer I've ever seen. I'm sure it'll drop out more, but I almost don't want it to so I don't lose too much of the batch. I know Conan is supposed to be a low floccing yeast, but damn. The small batch Pale Ale I used as a starter was not quite like this. I'll happily drink it whether or not it looks like pure slurry though :mug:

20160620_125329.jpg

Back