Crud and shavings in manifold tubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbird01

Reaction score
Just made my manifold for my cooler MLT. After cutting the slots for 1 tube in the copper, I am looking down the inside of the tube and man is there a lot of attached shavings. Just doesn't seem right to leave that gunk in there considering some may come loose and/or impede flow. Can't think of a way to get it out. Feel like I need a thin, long wire brush drill attachment, but no such thing at home depot. Anyone else run into this? Maybe it's worse using a sawsall like I am, but I imagine hacksaw would do the same.

Craig

Are the shavings loose to where you could blow them out with a air compressor?IF not you might have to get a long wire brush that will fit in the tubing like you mentioned.

I used a triangle file to get the stuff out of my cpvc. I think it is some sort of triangle chainsaw file. It worked great.

What have others done that built copper manifolds, just left the shavings in there? Someone must have noticed after cutting the slots.

I will look into a file. My pipes are 14 inches long...(and I am not bragging)

Craig

Many months ago I replied that I have a 1.625" diameter by .046" wide High Speed Steel cutting wheel with teeth, machine shop item for slitting.
I also posted an addresss on a company with cutters and specs, these will give clean slits. Can't recall the exact reply date.
What about using a brass shotgun bore brush, not only used in and out but rotated in both directions tightly fitted? I bet any chips that stay will not break off and flow thru your system after this brushing.
Take some wood dowel, slit the end and stick some strips of sandpaper in it then carefully rotate it with a slow speed drill motor.

It's just copper and if it ends up in the mash it will get filtered out by the grain and be gone when you dump the MLT.

I say don't worry about it and brew away it's never going to make it to the fermenter unless you don't vourlaf and you dump the entire boil kettle into a bucket fermenter.

Linc

you dump the entire boil kettle into a bucket fermenter.Linc

Now that's not funny, we did that once while I was helping (?) a friend, we had way too many brews during the brew session. Spilled more than half on the ground. Heck the brew came out good months later to our surprise.
I made some sort of rat poison of a wine 30 years ago, what a failure.

I gave my manifolds a strong blast of hose water from a nozzle. That seemed to knock 99% of everything out.

Back