Cranberry Saison - Add cranberry to mash or secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjstew

Reaction score
My buddy is having a holiday party at the end of December and asked me to brew a cranberry saison. Coincidentally I have 6 gallons of a Rye saison made with Wyeast 3726 - Farmhouse Ale that's done fermenting and ready to be kegged. He wants a very subtle cranberry flavor with a red hue. Not overpowering cranberry.

I found this recipe: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/fall-cranberry-saison/

My question is, the recipe calls to add to the mash "The impetus for the cranberries in this recipe was to maximize the fermentation of the sugars by adding them to the mash rather than adding them for flavor at the end.".

Would you recommend that or make a puree and add to secondary?

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable Maltster Use PPG Color
7.5 lb

Pilsner (DE) Any Mash 38 1 °L
7.5 lb

Maris Otter Pale (UK) Any Mash 38 3 °L
2.5 lb

Red Wheat (US) Any Boil 38 2 °L
1.8 lb

Sucrose (Table Sugar) Any Boil 46 0 °L
0.8 lb

Caramel/Crystal 20L (US) Any Mash 35 20 °L
0.5 lb

Acidulated Malt (DE) Any Boil 27 3 °L
Hops
Amount Hop Time Use Form AA
2.0 oz Hallertau (DE) 75 min Boil Pellet 3.0%
3.0 oz Hallertau (DE) 60 min Boil Pellet 3.0%
2.0 oz Hallertau (DE) 5 min Boil Pellet 3.0%
Yeasts
Name Lab/Product Attenuation
Belgian Saison Yeast Wyeast 3724 78.0%
Stats
Batch & Boil
  • Batch Size11.0 gal
  • Boil Time60 min
Properties
  • OG1.052
  • FG1.012
  • IBU22
  • ABV5.4%
  • Color

4 SRM
  • BalanceBalanced

Do you want to end up with any cranberry flavor? If so, definitely not the mash. Secondary for max flavor contribution.

Yeah, he wants some cranberry flavor, but not overpowering.

I'm thinking secondary....part of my reasoning is that this yeast was originally intended to be used for a Belgian Golden Strong. However, I don't want a Belgian Pink Strong. So if I add to secondary, my yeast won't be colored.

I am making a cranberry-orange saison right now - no previous experience with cranberries. I added 4lbs of frozen and chopped (food processor) last sunday. I am going to taste tomorrow to see if it needs anymore cranberries, and maybe some more orange (tincture). I am interested to hear about your results.

I made a cranberry blonde last year, and I've got the second batch in the secondary now. I would not add cranberry to the mash. Boiling cranberries for an hour could lead to some harsh bitterness or off flavors. Stick with the secondary.
Last year I froze them, thawed them, and put them into the food processor to break the skins open. I used two pounds and decided to try three this year. I was worried that they would make the beer excessively tart and dye it red, but it wasn't overpowering on either front.

I was considering adding them to the boil, or adding to the secondary after heating them to 150° for 15 minutes or so, but I was afraid of the pectins and want the beer to be clear ... and pink :) I am encouraged that 3 pounds worked for you and hope that 4 isn't too much.

I was considering adding them to the boil, or adding to the secondary after heating them to 150° for 15 minutes or so, but I was afraid of the pectins and want the beer to be clear ... and pink :) I am encouraged that 3 pounds worked for you and hope that 4 isn't too much.

Mine should be done next week. I'll let you know how it turns out. I don't bake them or anything, I just make sure to freeze them before hand to break the cell walls, then put them in the blender or food processor to break the skin open.

I tapped my cranberry blonde the other day. Got to be honest, I was really worried about this one, but it came out well. 3 pounds of cranberries is about as much as I'd care to do without adding caramel or reducing the bittering hops. 3 pounds also dyed the beer a nice hue of red. I actually added 1 1/2 tsp of table sugar to the keg when I cold crashed it. I was really worried about the tartness and tannins when I tasted this prior to kegging.

Also, I recently read that dried ground Sumac is a great cranberry substitute that doesn't leave that bitter tannin flavor behind. Probably a little late for that advice, but worth some thought for next year maybe.

How'd yours come out?

My buddy is having a holiday party at the end of December and asked me to brew a cranberry saison. Coincidentally I have 6 gallons of a Rye saison made with Wyeast 3726 - Farmhouse Ale that's done fermenting and ready to be kegged. He wants a very subtle cranberry flavor with a red hue. Not overpowering cranberry.
My question is, the recipe calls to add to the mash "The impetus for the cranberries in this recipe was to maximize the fermentation of the sugars by adding them to the mash rather than adding them for flavor at the end.".
Would you recommend that or make a puree and add to secondary?

I wouldn't add it to the mash or the secondary.
If you want cranberry flavor, I wouldn't ferment the cranberries. Fermented fruit tastes totally different than the original fruit does.
Since you already have a rye saison, I'd use frozen cranberry juice concentrate (thaw it out) pull some measured samples and do a blending trial to see if you like the rye/saison cranberry combination.
If it works, add the desired amount to the keg right before the party, that way you won't have to worry about any fermentation re-starting. You may want to add some sugar or other sweetener, again do some blending trials to get the flavor you are looking for. Have your buddy over and make another party out the blending trial.
If the rye doesn't work, brew another basic saison and when its done, do a blending trial with the FCJC.

Last edited:
cranorangesaison.jpg
cranberry orange saison. 6lbs fresh frozen cranberries. 1oz sweet orange peel at flameout and 1oz from tincture w/ 4oz vodka. yeast bay wallonian farmhouse III. og 1.061 fg 1.007. cranberry is there, but not too much. orange only comes out in finish once it warms a little. i think it is quite nice. cheers!

Back